You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-1-2018 19:52:43  #11

Re: Royal model 10 troubleshooting assistance?

also, make sure all the gears are firmly attached to their axis's and don't spin independently.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

12-1-2018 22:11:15  #12

I managed to get the shift back down, it appeared to be jammed. As for the ribbons, the gear in the cup thing appears to be in line with the spring drum, the ribbon release is engaged and when I use the carriage release and move it back and forth the drum and the ribbon does move with the carriage, but the carriage is not advancing when typing. I'm not exactly sure why, as the drum has spring to it and the draw band is intact. I have a thought that it may have missing springs somewhere? It is a machine that appears to have sat for some time.

12-1-2018 23:07:18  #13

I have contacted some owners of similar machines for photos, so we can discover what that hook thing is for.

Also, if the drawband is intact and the drum has spring, it should move with the carriage.  Does the carriage pull at all when you hold the release leaver?  If it does, you probably have an escarpment issue. 

If there is no pull to the carriage, place your hand on the right knob and apply pressure going left, then hit some keys and the space bar and see if it advances.  If it does, it’s not an escarpment issue but a mainspring issue.

Make sure the drawband attaches to the right of the carriage, and the drum itself.  The drum should want to wind the drawband with about two pounds of pressure.

Also, that rotating rod that connects the spindles to the spring drum, if you manually spin that and the ribbons wind, then we know it’s an issue with the mainspring.

13-1-2018 01:51:05  #14

I press the left release lever to move the carriage and it doesn't seem to have any pressure, it does have pressure when I use the carriage return leaver. I pressed to the left on the right knob and it doesn't move, I press the left knob to the right and it does move to the right. I got ahold of the rod connecting to the spindles and it does rotate the ribbons.

13-1-2018 01:52:17  #15

As for the drawband pressure, I'm not sure how to measure that. but it is attached to the proper areas.

13-1-2018 14:24:03  #16

It sounds like it might be both the escapement and the mainspring.  If you feel tension when returning the carriage, you should also feel tension when moving it back to the left.  Not entirely sure why you’re not.  Try placing a drop of oil on the escarpment, right between the star wheel and the pinion wheel.  The two of them are sandwiched together and sometimes get gummy.  Just move the carriage back and forth to feee things up.  Also, make sure the spring drum is free to rotate and test the right carriage release leaver.
When you press on the right knob, it shouldn’t move unless you’re typing.  You’re basically just trying to simulate what it might be like if the drawband was pulling all the way.
If the escapement works, and the gears and drum are free to move, try winding the drum up.  From zero tension, it should be wound about four times before being attached to the carriage.  More adjustments can be done afterwards.

Board footera