You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2018 16:33:17  #21

Re: Olivetti Lettera 32(Italy) ribbon spool & carriage lock issues

OK, and now with unscrewing the left hand platen knob you will have to get more brutal !  Find a spanner that fits closely across the flats on the left hand side of the platen (next to the right PB blue arrow in the picture).  Use this to lock the platen to prevent it from turning.  Use some coarse emery cloth strip wrapped round the platen knob to grip it tightly.  Make sure that it does not slip.  Using the emery cloth to get a good grip on the platen knob, unscrew it with all your strength.  Again, do not let the emery cloth slip or it will mark the plastic.  This is almost guaranteed to remove the knob.  In the unlikely event that the outer plastic ring unscrews instead - rare but has been known to happen - come back and tell us, because there is a further procedure that you can try.

07-2-2018 17:25:17  #22

Fleetwing - I agree. Actually, I would not have bothered much about the removal of the platen if not for the dirty feed rollers on the inner side. The platen and the rollers work fine and the grip is very much firm. The good news is that I managed to get the platen out! Thank you.

thetypewriterman- Thank you. Phew! I got the platen out after getting hold of an adjustable spanner. I tried without the emery cloth because I had none with me and the spanner was too big to fit across the flats(shown with purple arrow). So I went on to put the other knob back and got the carriage lever to lock the platen and used the right knob to twist it out. Gave it all but it just never moved. I got brutal by getting the spanner to sit on the flat spot of the right platen's rod(shown with the green arrows) and twisting it. A few hard twists and It was out. I was careful with the spanner sitting on the flat spot of the rod; placed a cloth for in between the teeth and the rod to prevent any wear. All went well and I got back cleaning the rollers. Here is a picture. Thank you very much! 

08-2-2018 04:00:40  #23

The interesting thing is that it is usually the right hand platen knob that is difficult to remove on this model.  The tiny allen grub screws that hold it on tend to seize, and then the internal flats round off when you apply pressure !

23-2-2018 14:57:27  #24

Hey typewriterman. Sorry for the delayed reply. That is true. I heard others saying the same thing. Seem like mine is the opposite. Gald that it all worked out.  Thank you for your patience throughout this few weeks. I am grateful to you and the others who have contributed to this thread. Without you guys I would have had a hard time figuring out.

30-5-2022 20:09:24  #25

Glad I searched out this old thread.

My carriage lock on my 1967 Olivetti 32 was not engaging.

I found the bracket shown in the photo, below, was over-tightened at the two nuts circled in red in the photo.

I backed off both nuts with a small open-end wrench, applied a bit of sewing machine oil, and then gently tightened up the nuts again.  The spring-return lever moved freely when I operated the chromed-lever for the carriage lock control.

Board footera