You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2014 15:11:29  #11

Re: Tab Brake on Olympia SM9

Please don't think I was offended in any way.  On reflection, I should have put a 'smiley' next to my comment about fixing typewriters since 1975.  Sometimes things come over in writing as being harsh when they are not intended as such.  I just didn't like to see someone going wrong when they were 95% of the way there, having sucessfully stripped the tab brake.  It has probably part-siezed through lack of use, and the old lubricant gumming up.  If cleaning doesn't work, by all means try oiling it - it won't do any harm.

19-1-2014 17:03:52  #12

Since we're on the subject of tab brakes, what other types of systems have you seen in your experience? I wonder why the cushion drum couldn't have just contained a spring to slow the carriage.

Personally, I lke threads such as this; when the time comes - and eventually it will - I'll know exactly what to expect when servicing the tab breaks on my Olympia models that have it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2014 17:37:09  #13

There are as many variants of tab brakes as there are manufacturers !  The classic Imperials (50 through to 80) also have a centrifugal tab. brake - this time with leather facings on the shoes - but the same diameter as the huge spring drum and driven by epicyclic gears !  Very old Underwood standards had a thin steel strap (think hacksaw blade without the teeth) at the back of the carriage.  It was pinched, finger and thumb style, between two leather faced levers.  The Olivetti Lettera portables simply used a spring loaded linkage, faced with a tiny cork disc, which pushed on the underside of the carriage rod (L22) or tab rack (L32 and variants).  I have recently seen a tab brake rather like a car clutch on a 1930's Hermes Four.

19-1-2014 18:05:42  #14

Fascinating. And it demonstrates how little I know. I was unaware that the Olivetti models you mentioned had tab brake systems. I'll have to take a look at those now too; and to think that all that crashing and banging when you press the tab key is a reduced impact (either that or my tab brakes all need attention!).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-1-2014 16:57:30  #15

I reaplaced a couple of the cork pads even though I doubt I really needed to. I put it back together and it's fine. Sometimes you just need a reboot... 

I'm still trying to decide which I like better, the 8 or the 9. The 8 is actually a much more precise machine (read: I don't fumble the type bars as much and the spacebar works much better on the 8), but the 9 is so much cleaner and well perserved. 

the 8 has some pretty nasty gunk buildup just about everywhere in the machine and I'm thinking about taking the platen off and dunking it.

"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

25-1-2014 17:02:36  #16

Would you mind posting a few photos of the SM8? I've never come across one in the wild and am trying to put together a guide for the differences between all of the SM models. And where did you source the replacement cork from? Details please!

25-1-2014 19:32:46  #17

Uwe wrote:

Would you mind posting a few photos of the SM8? I've never come across one in the wild and am trying to put together a guide for the differences between all of the SM models. And where did you source the replacement cork from? Details please!

I just spent an hour resizing photos and editing and posting only to press the back button and lose it all. dammitalltohell

25-1-2014 19:50:57  #18

Here's what little backstory there is: I found the SM8 at a goodwill while I was in college and loved it. A few years later I found the SM9 at a goodwill in a totally different part of the state. They were both in excellent condition, minus the case on the 8 being completely effed up.

I didnt source any new cork pieces. I took Thetypewriterman's advice and cut new ones out of a wine cork (of which I have no shortage, believe you me!)

LEFT: SM8 RIGHT: SM9

TOP: SM8 BOTTOM: SM9 - You'll see they're basically identical. The only significant change between the two was the tabulator system. You can see the additional two keys on either of the spacebar on the 9. I believe I have an early SM9 as I read that the later ones had different color schemes and, eventually, lower quality when cost-saving practices were implemented.

This is kinda cool and barely makes a difference, but it adjusts the pressure required to strike a letter

The typist can set a tab at any point in the line. Just press "set." to clear it you have to tab to the stop and press "clear" to clear that individual tab set.

You can, however, clear all tabs at once with the clear all lever at the end of the carriage on the 9. You'll also notice that the 9 has stainless steel caps on the ends of the carriage and the 8 has painted caps. I prefer the painted.

These are the tab sets for the SM8. They are springloaded pieces of metal that you apply pressure to and move left or right to where you'd like your tab set. When you let go the spring pops it back out and it's stationary. There's no tab brake, no fancy mechanism to set or clear, you just put the six tab sets where you'd like them.

TOP: SM9 BOTTOM: SM8 - you can see that there's no gearing on the 8's drawbrand drum because there's no tab brake gear for it to engage

TOP: SM9 BOTTOM: SM8 - This is hard to put to words, but I'll try. Look to the right of the metal bar running down the middle of the photograph from top to bottom. There are more pieces on the SM9 and they all have to do with tabbing, either clearing or braking. The tab brake is on the lower right of the SM9 photograph (for clearer pictures of this look further up in this forum post).

TOP: SM9 BOTTOM: SM8 - I don't know what to call this thing but it's a dealiemothingie that supports the paper when it's in the machine. The 9's has a spring loaded release and it telescopes out to reveal measurements. The 8's is a fixed fold-out dealiemothingie.

TOP: SM9 BOTTOM: SM8 - you can see how much cleaner the 9 is than the 8. sometimes the bars stick on the 8 because it's got gummy oily stuff all over but it's fine once you get going.

Last edited by cjshelley (25-1-2014 19:53:34)

26-1-2014 00:48:09  #19

First off, thanks for going through the effort and posting those photos. I wish the differences between the SM models were as simple as those that you pointed out. They aren't, which is why I'm compiling as much info as I can about the various models. Some of your points are valid identifiers, others aren't. The problem is that the SM models changed over the years and with those changes some of the features that you used to differentiate between the two machines changed too.

For later model SMs, Olympia lists these as the primary differences between the SM7, 8, and 9:
1. SM9 only: Left hand carriage release, touch adjuster (under machine cover), tabulator setting key on left hand side of keyboard.
2. SM8 only: Manual tabulator stops on back side of carriage.
3. SM7: No "line space plunger" (platen release), tabulator, or touch control.

Clearly there are other differences too, which is why I'm slowly putting a definitive guide to SM spotting together. Muddling all of this even further are the variations of the SM that existed such as the Monica (see below). Olympia could have made life more simple if it had just bothered to include the model number somewhere on the machine!  

Look at just a few of the differences between your earlier model SM9 and my later model SM9:

SM9 (note the lack of tab controls on either side of the space bar)

Monica (note the carriage lock on both machines to the left of the 1 key)

SM9 Tab Set Lever (not the touch control, which is located under the ribbon cover - how clever was it of Olympia to keep the same +/- cutouts in the case?)

Paper rest on SM9 vs. Monica

SM9 Carriage End Plate (no longer chromed)

Monica Carriage End Plate (also not chromed, but lacks the tab master clear lever and paper rest release button)

21-1-2015 15:45:03  #20

This is REALLY interesting. I'm watching what I thught was an SM9, but it is an SM8. Looks like there's no real difefrence, unless you need lots of tab functionality, which I don't. 

Board footera