You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-2-2018 19:12:19  #1

Cleaning question

I often read that people clean their machines and then leave them to "bake" in the sun. My question is what do you do in the winter? I live in the Northeast and I really don't want to wait until spring (if it ever comes). Putting a machine in the oven is a no-go. Anybody have any suggestions? Can I clean a machine with mineral spirits and just let it air dry? Thanks as always for your help!

12-2-2018 20:20:49  #2

Re: Cleaning question

You're talking about cleaning the mechanicals, I assume, rather than the body shell? Mineral spirits should evaporate quickly enough, but if you set up a fan to blow on it that would help as well. Same applies for using a cleaner with water for the shell -- wipe it down and get as much water off as you can, and then place it near a fan to evaporate the water residue before it has a chance to cause rust.. But if you can leave it in a sunny spot, that will help!

12-2-2018 20:23:04  #3

Fleetwing wrote:

You're talking about cleaning the mechanicals, I assume, rather than the body shell? Mineral spirits should evaporate quickly enough, but if you set up a fan to blow on it that would help as well. Same applies for using a cleaner with water for the shell -- wipe it down and get as much water off as you can, and then place it near a fan to evaporate the water residue before it has a chance to cause rust.. But if you can leave it in a sunny spot, that will help!

Thank you! Yes, I meant the mechanicals...I have several dirty machines and everyone talks about cleaning it with mineral spirits or other strong cleaners and then letting it bake in the sun. I live in CT, we don't see the sun again until April!

12-2-2018 22:22:45  #4

I'm in CT also, Hartford. And you? Mineral spirits and/or lighter fluid (like Ronsonol) work really well on the mechanicals, and will evaporate without residue pretty quickly. No need for them to "bake in the sun."Don't just dunk the parts in the fluid; brush in in if you can, since the fluid needs some assistance in loosening up the crud.

12-2-2018 23:37:19  #5

I agree with fleetwing.  I generally don’t do harsh chemical cleaning or anything like that, unless the machine is really rusted.  Brushing the mechanics with A LOT of mineral spirits is my general method.  I use a stiff brush to scrub, and a lot of mineral spirits to flush out all the stuff.  It evaporates in about 20 minutes depending on the volume and ambient temperature, my last cleaning went through about a pint of that stuff.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

16-2-2018 20:38:52  #6

Fleetwing wrote:

I'm in CT also, Hartford. And you? Mineral spirits and/or lighter fluid (like Ronsonol) work really well on the mechanicals, and will evaporate without residue pretty quickly. No need for them to "bake in the sun."Don't just dunk the parts in the fluid; brush in in if you can, since the fluid needs some assistance in loosening up the crud.

I live in Waterbury myself

01-3-2018 20:27:08  #7

JeffMo74 wrote:

I often read that people clean their machines and then leave them to "bake" in the sun. My question is what do you do in the winter? I live in the Northeast and I really don't want to wait until spring (if it ever comes). Putting a machine in the oven is a no-go. Anybody have any suggestions? Can I clean a machine with mineral spirits and just let it air dry? Thanks as always for your help!

I know this sound weird. But put it your oven on 100 for 2-5 minutes.

Art is horsesh*t, buy tacos instead---Bukowski 

01-3-2018 21:14:26  #8

Snoopee wrote:

JeffMo74 wrote:

Oddly enough my oven won't go below 200. So I rigged up a heat lamp setup and checked the temperature and it peaked at about 90 degrees F.  Worked out well, I used it on a really dirty Clipper and it's my go to machine now.

01-3-2018 21:17:07  #9

JeffMo74 wrote:

Snoopee wrote:

JeffMo74 wrote:

Oddly enough my oven won't go below 200. So I rigged up a heat lamp setup and checked the temperature and it peaked at about 90 degrees F.  Worked out well, I used it on a really dirty Clipper and it's my go to machine now.

great machine. I don't have one but have a sterling that I like. recently acquired a Royal KMG and have fallen for it like crazy. 

Art is horsesh*t, buy tacos instead---Bukowski 

02-3-2018 00:23:06  #10

Hi Snoopee

​Are we talking 100ºF (311ºK) or 100ºC (373ºK) ? Just want to be absolutely sure as there are several European and a few Canadian members on this forum. Cheers,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera