You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-2-2014 14:06:17  #11

Re: Portable electr(on)ic typewriter

I wanted a Brother, as I felt the supplies would be available for a long time.  Fortunately, just after I got my machine and determined that everything worked, I saw an ad on ebay for a "Starter Kit" which included two ribbons, one correction tape, AND a Script font daisy wheel, for $9.99, with free shipping. These are still selling new for $57, so I have two fonts now.  I hope the ribbons are good, as the packaging looks quite old.  I haven't tried them yet, as I bought a nylon ribbon to use normally.  If I create my document in memory mode, then proof read, I shouldn't need to make any corrections.

I wanted the machine for short runs of address labels, and it is working perfect for that.

By the way, the new Brother typewriters use the same ribbons.

Last edited by phxxer (26-2-2014 21:08:09)

25-2-2014 14:22:36  #12

Yep, I am more or less also looking in the Brother direction, since the one seems to have produced untill quite recently (meaning : after 1995), but without a screen. 

I have a question for you, since you mention it : you speak about "nylon" ribbon. I have seen that a lot of ribbons used for electronic typewriters (as the Brother AX series) are mostly "C" ribbons, for "Carbon" (and therefore single use). What could be the difference ; may we have the hope that nylon ribbons might be re-inkable ?

For the ribbons models, I have had a thorough look to the one sold on ebay, and even for Brother, I have seen different models (for different writers) : Gr. 143, 153, 18. (the dot stand for "something")... are they interchangeable in some ways ? 

... and second question : are they time-limited ? I mean, do they have a period after which they have to be thrown away, as film for analogic photography, for example ? (I have seen on one website that some ribbons/cartridges were notified as 2 years validity).... 

Last edited by iMe (25-2-2014 14:34:56)

25-2-2014 14:56:16  #13

Most typewriters that have a "correction" key, require the use of a carbon ribbon.  That is so the typewriter can backspace, and type the same letter, but using the sticky lift-off tape in place of the ribbon. If the machine is electronic, it will remember the letter, word, or line, to go back  and remove. On a non-electronic machine,  you will often have to manually backspace, and type the letter to be "lifted off" the paper, so you can replace with the correct letter.

The carbon ribbon is one time, it only goes through the machine once, then has to  be replaced. In fact, from an exhausted ribbon you can read what has been typed if you hold it up to a light.

The nylon ribbon is pulled from one side of the ribbon cassette and returns on the other side. It is continuous, so it can go through the machine many times, getting a little  lighter each time it goes through. The same as a manual typewriter.  They don't suddenly run out of ribbon, as can happen with a carbon ribbon.    That is my main reason for preferring a nylon ribbon. 

When a nylon ribbon gets too light, you can spray them lightly with WD-40 (light oil) and they will often come back to life.  Let it sit over night after spraying, to distribute the oil, and hopefully the ink too. You have to carefully remove the lid from the cassette to get at the ribbon inside. Be very careful not to disturb the ribbon once the cover is removed.

Brother at one time offered a "multi-strike" ribbon, which had about 5 layers of carbon on  one film. It would go through the  typewriter 5 times, before it was exhausted.  It is no longer offered.

I hope this helps.

26-2-2014 12:42:56  #14

Thanks for your detailed reply ! 

I have my reply about electronic typewriters ribbons ! Nice ! 

phxxer wrote:

In fact, from an exhausted ribbon you can read what has been typed if you hold it up to a light.

I does not sound NSA-proof to me 

So, more seriously, the thing with the peremption date is not to be taken in consideration (at all) ? 

Concerning the multi-strike : I am afraid I found some  : http://www.amazon.com/Multistrike-Ribbon-for-Brother-AX/dp/B001HA8LCQ 

Last edited by iMe (26-2-2014 12:44:54)

26-2-2014 16:37:20  #15

The multistrike ribbon is 1031, and no longer available on www.brothermall.com   It shows "out-of-stock, discontinued."   So stock up if they fill your needs best.

I haven't tried my old 1030 ribbons,  but they have no expiration date or "best if used by" date on the package.  Since it is sort of a wax coating, they should be good unless exposed to high temperature.

I think the nylon ribbon will best suit my needs.  I intend to create documents in memory, and correct all mistakes before printing, so the correction feature is not necessary.  Long life is.  I don't care if it fades slightly before it has to be replaced.

06-3-2014 11:58:43  #16

Concernig the Nylon ribbon, since it seems to be the most "long-life" one for the next generations , what are the correction ribbon going with ? I have seen somewhere that the classical "lift-off" ribbons are not relevant for the nylon... any idea ? 

06-3-2014 14:25:47  #17

With a Nylon ribbon, ink from the ribbon is deposited on the paper and impregnates the paper, rather than a thin layer of carbon film being placed on the surface of  the paper.  The lift off tape has no effect on the impression left by the Nylon ribbon.  The reason lift-off tape works is the bond between the carbon film character and sticky side of the lift-off  tape is greater than the bond between the film character and the paper.  If you take a strip of removable Scotch tape and apply it on top of some text written with a carbon ribbon, the tape will remove most of the text under the tape when you remove the tape.

I'm not sure, but characters may become more permanent with age, it might only lift off easily when  it is fresh.  I just tried removing some text typed 3 weeks ago, and I would say 75% of the character was removed, may 15% remained.

By the way, I think my Nylon ribbon is already getting lighter in ink.  It may be a very short ribbon within the cassette.  I'm guessing in an  office you might  have to replace it approximately every 2 or 3 weeks of normal use.  So it might not be more economical than the carbon film ribbon

07-3-2014 11:53:50  #18

So, you need another correctable ribbon for the nylon...

Stupid question, but I noticed, still in the different sizes, that some typewriters uses (with the European modell number) size 153 (so, C or N depending on their nature), and another that I am looking at size 143. 
Is there any chance of compatibility and inter-operability between the two models ? 

09-3-2014 12:15:27  #19

The only correction for the nylon ribbon would be to cover the image with white impression, then type over the  area.  I  hope I don't need any correcting abilities, because I will create all  documents in memory, then proof-read on the display, then print after making the  necessary corrections.

I am not aware of any interchangeability between different manufactures. If you have a Brother, you have to buy ribbons made just for Brother machines.  A Smith Corona ribbon will not fit a Brother machine  and  vice-versa.   Fortunately, most  Brother machines use the same ribbon, and the same print wheel, so they are interchangeable among Brother machines.

In a real emergency, you might be able take the  ribbon  out of a Brother cassette, and replace it with a ribbon  from a Smith-Corona,  but this is very tricky. It would probably be smarter to remove the old  ribbon leaving a short stub at each end, splice the new ribbon to the  stub, then wind  the new ribbon manually into the correct cassette, and splicing the other end.

I assume that among lesser known brands, there may be some interchangeability. Also, there are some 3rd party suppliers, who make ribbons to fit  Brother and Smith-Corona machines. I think  "DataPrint" is one, and  maybe "Nu-Kote."

09-3-2014 12:26:38  #20

Oops!  I should  have written "DataProducts" instead of "Data Print."  Sorry.

Board footera