You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-2-2014 08:19:33  #1

Remington No. 12 Paper Fingers Worn Flat

Both of the paper finger roller's have large flat areas on them which cause them to drag instead of roll. Is there any way to fix these / replace?

I took a picture, but left my camera at home. 

Thanks.

20-2-2014 10:20:29  #2

Re: Remington No. 12 Paper Fingers Worn Flat

I would remove the rollers and work them with rubber rejuvinator to see if they can be made round. Alternatively, for such a small roller you would probably do well by covering it with heat shrink tubing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-2-2014 16:17:49  #3

You might be lucky and find some rubber hose that can be sliced off into 'rollers'  with a very sharp blade, and fitted to the axles.  Automotive advance/retard vacuum hose comes in black, in a range of small sizes.

21-2-2014 01:17:39  #4

I second Uwe. Heat-shrink tubing for applications like this should work pretty well. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

21-2-2014 07:42:30  #5

Okay. I'll give that a try. How do you guys recommend removing the rubber rollers? I tried punching the pin out but hasn't moved.

21-2-2014 07:43:24  #6

21-2-2014 10:47:56  #7

Hard to tell from the photos, but It almost looks like it's a solid piece, as in there isn't a pin to be removed, which would be a pain because you would have to slightly uncurl one end of the paper finger enough to free the pin. It also looks like you'll have to be careful with the thickness of either the hose or heat shrink that you use because there doesn't appear to be a lot of clearance between the roller and the paper finger bracket. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-2-2014 10:56:10  #8

Yes the metal is one sold piece wrapped around the pin. And as you said there is very little if any clearance. I may just remove them from now or disconnect the springs so they can just sit gently on the typewriter's platen.

Board footera