You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-10-2023 20:11:42  #11

Re: Olympia Splendid 33, 66, and 99 - differences?

That's a beauty. Same for the case.

- Be kind 

14-10-2023 20:15:02  #12

Great find. Well done.

By "carriage lift" do you mean motion adjustment? If so, does that mean you can't do on-foot / motion adjustments on the 33 and 66?

14-10-2023 20:52:02  #13

Hi Rob,

No...the motion adjustments are there in the back of the machine...a pair of adjustable screws on each side underneath the carriage travel area.

The adjustable screws/springs for the "heavy-ness" of the carriage (on this carriage-shifting machine) are located as noted in the photos, below. 

You can adjust the tension of the springs on both sides so your pinky finger does not have to work so hard to lift the carriage for shifting for an upper case character.  Sometimes you can make the shift feel as light as on a basket shifting machine.

I assume on the Splendid 33 and maybe the 66...these carriage-lift springs are there but without an easy adjustment.  On those you might have to cut some spring-coils to adjust the force it takes to lift the carriage.  Or even change to different springs.

14-10-2023 21:43:24  #14

Ahh. Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

I appreciate when carriage shifters have an adjustment screw/nut for this carriage counterbalance/weight spring. (Though, I tend to set mine a bit too light so the first lowercase after a capital always comes out below the baseline if I'm typing too fast). 

This makes me lean towards a 99 if I ever get a Splendid. 

15-10-2023 06:58:47  #15

Hi Rob,

I think this 99 was a seldom used machine.  Very little to clean out and the platen still has softness to it.

It's typing action is a bit better than my 1966 SF.  The key-top set has a solid feel and it is fast to return type-slugs. 

My SF weighs in at 9.8 lbs. w/out case weight...while this 99 comes in at 9.2 lbs.

The shorter CR lever on this 99 raises up quite a bit in its "use" position which is very useful...so I am getting use to using it.  (lol)

Mine is 11 cpi...wish it was a 10 cpi as my eyes like the large font on small portables.

If Olympia had used a factory fixed Tabulator on the 99...it would be a near perfect machine, IMHO.

15-10-2023 15:41:39  #16

I have often wondered if it would be possible to modify a Splendid to have a factory fixed tabulator by using parts from a late Traveller 'S'.  I hasten to add that I have never tried it, but it does seem more than feasible, although a lot of work  !

15-10-2023 16:26:31  #17

Thanks for the rundown Pete! Sounds like a very cool machine.

I go back and forth on character pitch. When I'm writing a lot, and not in the office with a stack of blank paper, I like the space efficiency of an 11 or 12, but most of the typefaces I have at that size are small and rought to read (especially the SCs). That said, there are some good 12 pitch typefaces - my 5LTE has a different one from all the other SCs which is really nice (it is physically bigger, yet fits in the 1/12" nicely without looking crowded).

15-10-2023 19:06:30  #18

Hi Tom,

I like your idea...but that is way past my skill set and I would be afraid I would muck up the Splendid in the process.

Board footera