You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-11-2018 07:54:42  #1

Lettera 32 draw band winding issue

Hi, it's me again with my 99 problems.

Do you have any idea why my Olivetti Lettera 32 draw band slips from around the main spring and winds underneath it instead of around it? I was typing and wondered why the carriage felt so 'grindy', then it halted completely, and after a look under the bonnet I noticed the draw band had wound itself tightly under the main spring, around the bolt. It was a bit of a chore to undo it and put it back where it was supposed to be.

The tension on the band seems decent, and as far as I know everything is in its correct place, so that can't be the reason, right? I haven't replaced or fixed anything on this machine, I just cleaned it back when I got it and installed a new ribbon.
I'm a bit nervous of typing with it for the fear it happens again.

Any suggestions?
Thank you kindly for reading.

13-11-2018 14:42:09  #2

Re: Lettera 32 draw band winding issue

Is your Lettera 32 a late model with a flexible plastic cover plate on the underside ?  If it is, that may be your problem.  Putting the machine on your knees when typing, or even on an undersized typewriter mat, will result in the cover plate flexing upwards and catching on the spring drum.  This will cause the drawcord to unship itself and then when the machine is moved and the spring drum is released, the cord will wrap itself around the bolt - just as you describe.

16-11-2018 09:21:33  #3

Re: Lettera 32 draw band winding issue

Thetypewriterman, thank you so much for replying.

My Lettera 32 has a metal plate underneath, but it's strangely 'loose' in one corner, I think it's maybe bent a little. I have no idea if that would have an effect.

You're absolutely correct about the lap typing. I stopped using it for that, because the carriage wouldn't move normally. Thank you for solving my problem!

I knew the Lettera had its own set of problems, but it's turning out to be a little more finicky than I expected from something favoured by journalists and correspondents.
If I could find a typewriter that was equally quiet, I doubt I would use this one much.

Thanks again for your help!

Board footera