You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-1-2019 08:28:04  #1

Triumph Gabriele 35 (Adler J5?) vertical alignment

Hi there,

I got a Triumph Gabriele 35 (Adler J5 in the USA?), serial nr.4377344,
which was possibly mistreated during shipping, it has an offset of about 1/2 line between lowercase (LC) and uppercase letters (UC). 

Quick question: how to set the vertical letter alignement on this typewriter?

Details: I am aware that typewriters usually do have two vertical alignement settings, one for LC the other for UC. When opening the Gabriele 35, I could only find one screw+nut setting (symmetric on left and right sides; on the picture the screen next to the "7" marked on the basket) to set the amount of allowed downshift of the basket. However, with this settings to the max, I still cannot compensate entirely the LC to UC offset as the basket hits a black rod where the shift mechanism is connected and cannot descend more.
I also found no way to shift the basket up so that the LC would rise to meet the UC. There is another setting left from the red marked screw below it, where a preloaded spring can be adjusted but apparently this has no effect on the basket height. 
There is no apparent further setting on the bottom of the frame or on top of it.
The basket is guided with a linear bearing on the left and right sides, in the lower case position, the basket appears already at the end of the bearing and thus does not seem to be moveable further up to bring the LC higher.

Any idea how to proceed? 

Best regards,
TKNIKA

08-10-2020 10:42:43  #2

Re: Triumph Gabriele 35 (Adler J5?) vertical alignment

Hi Tknika
Just found your old post and seem to have exactly the same issue with a Gabriele 20 (which similarly could have been damaged in transit as a platen knob and part of the ribbon cover were broken on arrival). I can see that the nylon pad on the lower case adjustment is missing the metal stop by about 2 to 3mm, but I can’t spot what’s preventing it from completing its travel. Did you sort this out eventually? 
many thanks
Ian

08-10-2020 10:51:27  #3

Dear IanJ,

I kind of sorted it, but created other issues while messing around (a kind of learning experience). 
The shift lever has a link under the keyboard which was a bit loose at its interconnection.
Due to the looseness of the link, the shift motion was not entirely transferred to the basked. 

After retightening the link's screw, the full range of motion of the basket was re-enabled. This enabled to push the basket enough to compensate the misalignment. There was no adjustment screw so to say to limit the amount of shift. Unfortunately I cannot show a picture of what I mean. I hope you can understand it though. 

Kind regards,
TKNIKA. 

08-10-2020 11:04:42  #4

Thanks for the incredibly swift response. I’ll have a look at it...!
cheers
Ian

10-10-2020 14:48:37  #5

Sorted! For anybody else encountering a similar problem (one other person contacted me through Instagram with the same problem), with my Adler, the link wasn’t loose but had shifted with an impact. Once loosened off and retightened, the full range of movement of the basket was restored, and the upper and lower case realigned. The screw that needed adjusting is just below the pivot point that connects to the basket, on the right hand side of the typewriter. The carriage assembly needs removing (screw at either end of the base of the carriage assembly), then remove the body. The screw concerned can be accessed through the frame of the typewriter. 

Board footera