You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-4-2019 00:41:46  #1

Olympia SG-1 questions

Hello everyone,

I am new here and fairly new to typewriters - with a special interest for Olympias. I'm from France and the ressources on typewriters here are really scarce.
I recently bought a far from perfect SG-1 (the later model with light green paint and white plastic parts - checking the database I think it's from 63?). It is missing the paper rest (which is as I understand very common) and strangely enough the right margin stop.
So my question is this: where could I source those parts and if it proves too difficult, could I take them from a SG-3? Do any of you know if maybe they would fit?

Thank you for your help!

David

02-5-2019 14:21:58  #2

Re: Olympia SG-1 questions

Hello from Germany,

"davidlg" wrote:

It is missing the paper rest (which is as I understand very common)

Yes, very common. Mine lacks it to. Somewhere on this forum I read that these were just too easy to take off.

"davidlg" wrote:

strangely enough the right margin stop

Now that's odd. Is it really entirely missing or do you mean the machine just does not stop at the right margin stop (which is what mine occasionally likes to do)?

"davidlg" wrote:

So my question is this: where could I source those parts

steini and me have some esoteric thoughts as to manufacturing such parts, but your best bet for just the parts is probably posting in our Parts subforum. Quite some people have parts machines around.

The alternative is to find a fitting parts machine. I can't comment on whether you can use an SG3's margin stop, but if you have one around anyway, just try unscrewing it and screw it onto the SG1. Make a photo before so you can properly reassemble it. I don't believe you can damage anything by trying it out.

I looked at my 50ies Olympia SG1's right margin stop and it doesn't look like an exactly difficult/complex part. I suppose with patience a mildly talented person could work it from metal if you don't find one. So many people have SG1s that asking for detailed photos on this forum will certainly yield you plenty.

Board footera