You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-4-2019 19:45:26  #1

Olympia SM5 shift lock

I just picked up a 1962 SM5 that was a little grungy (type slugs especially) but which has cleaned up well. It works fine, except that the shift lock will not hold in place. Comparing this machine's shift lock mechanism with a couple of other early SMs, it appears that the torsion spring that holds the shift lock key in place is different. Namely, the other machines have torsion springs that are hooked into a hole down near the bottom of the shift lock key, which is shaped like a hook to hold the locking mechanism in place against the bottom edge of a plate.  The SM5's shift lock key has this same hole, but the spring does not hook into that hole. So I infer the mechanical advantage of the spring has been somewhat lost. Some sort of cost cutting measure, maybe?

Do others with SM5s have this same setup? If so, how does the shift lock work on your machine? I'm trying to figure out what I can do to keep the hook engaged with the bottom edge of the plate. (Do I bend the bottom of the plate to engage the hook more securely?) Thanks.

19-4-2019 07:32:24  #2

Re: Olympia SM5 shift lock

Usually Shift Locks fail to hold because of a worn hook or catch, a bent hook or thing that it is supposed to catch on, or a worn or missing spring, probably in that order. Sometimes a combination of the first two. For the first cause, I have successfully filed a fresh edge on the catch. For the second, of course, I bend the part back so the hook holds. And springs are usually easy to fit into that area; you did keep that junk plastic-era typewriter with its 617 various springs, didn't you?

19-4-2019 12:24:21  #3

Re: Olympia SM5 shift lock

Interesting thought about sticking a spring in there; I have one or two lying around I think (but no junker, really). But first I'll look into a little bending and/or filing. Thanks for the reply.

Board footera