You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-8-2019 18:27:30  #1

Underwood Nº4 Ribbon Wind

I have a 1917 Underwood #4 that's in very good shape after a bit of work. There  was a screw stuck in the type connecting links and the carriage shift didn't work but after a bit of cleaning, lubricating and adjusting it works fine. The one thing left to fix is the ribbon wind. The mechanisms seem to be free and when advanced using the crank everything works ok. Unfortunately when typing, the ribbon seems to not want to move at all. I'm guessing that there is a tension adjustment that I'm missing. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix the problem.

15-8-2019 02:31:59  #2

Re: Underwood Nº4 Ribbon Wind

Have you checked the drive pawls on the large ratchet wheel on the right hand side of the machine ?  After more than 100 years, the pawls can become blunt and allow the wheel to slip backwards.  You can take them off and re-shapen the tips with a small grindstone.

15-8-2019 10:34:55  #3

Re: Underwood Nº4 Ribbon Wind

thetypewriterman wrote:

Have you checked the drive pawls on the large ratchet wheel on the right hand side of the machine ?  After more than 100 years, the pawls can become blunt and allow the wheel to slip backwards.  You can take them off and re-shapen the tips with a small grindstone.

As usual, you were correct. Your assumption that the pawls were worn is the root of the problem. A little work with a fine diamond stone, some adjustment and a tiny amount of lubricant and things are working just fine.

Underwood Nº 4 Typewriter ribbon wind mechanism by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

Board footera