You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-9-2019 18:47:56  #1

When you can't find the part you need......

You just have to fabricate one.

Ribbon Wind Part For 1960 Hermes Rocket Typewriter by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

I doubt I'd be able to find the part I need so I'll be fabricating one to replace the one missing on my latest acquisition. I have a different Rocket that is from the same year, just 112 serial numbers between them, so I have a part I can copy in my shop. I foresee lots of hand filing and fitting after a bit of machining.

18-9-2019 02:00:33  #2

Re: When you can't find the part you need......

A very fine piece of work, notably given the scale! Well done.

18-9-2019 17:19:03  #3

IanJ wrote:

A very fine piece of work, notably given the scale! Well done.

I didn't express myself very well. I haven't made the part yet. That is the part I have to copy.

19-9-2019 14:34:31  #4

My mistake! I didn't read it accurately...in that case, good luck with it! I had to fabricate some replacement metal lugs for the back panel of a Royal Model P case (along with the piece of panel that the original lugs disappeared with...). I struggled to find out what the original ones looked like, but accuracy of design wasn't that critical and on a larger scale than your challenge. I bought a used pillar drill and a used bench grinder off eBay, which have been really useful.

19-9-2019 17:28:31  #5

IanJ wrote:

My mistake! I didn't read it accurately...in that case, good luck with it! I had to fabricate some replacement metal lugs for the back panel of a Royal Model P case (along with the piece of panel that the original lugs disappeared with...). I struggled to find out what the original ones looked like, but accuracy of design wasn't that critical and on a larger scale than your challenge. I bought a used pillar drill and a used bench grinder off eBay, which have been really useful.

I'm very fortunate that I have a small machine shop with lathe, mill, drill, welders, bandsaw, etc. I also have quite a bit of woodworking equipment. You are right. The diminutive size makes creating an accurate part difficult even though I have a sample to copy. But that's part of the fun.

16-10-2019 17:52:17  #6

This shows the original left side ribbon rewind part and the new fabricated part for the right side of a Hermes Rocket.
Silver soldered replacement part for a Hermes Rocket ribbon rewind by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

I also had to silver solder the paper bail back together.
Silver soldering on a Hermes Rocket paper bail by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

Silver soldering on a Hermes Rocket paper bail-2 by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

17-10-2019 04:38:26  #7

....a very fine piece of work, especially given the scale...Well done!

Far better than my work of yesterday - when building some wooden shelving for my cellar typewriter workshop I managed to screw together part of the wooden framework around my folding workbench, effectively trapping the damn thing in the middle of the frame...doh!

25-10-2019 15:21:33  #8

After winding a new spring out of .010 piano wire and installing all the parts, the Rocket works just fine. Actually, installing the parts with the tiny spring was more work than making the darn things. 

Now, since I have no more machines that need work, I'm on the hunt for a semi-dead one that I can resuscitate. 

Board footera