You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-10-2019 05:34:36  #1

New Lettera 22 - Help dating it please?

I picked up this beauty today. Needs a clean up, but I think it will come up very well. I bought the salmon pink one for my daughter a while back, and liked it so much I wanted one for myself. This one is a grey/blue (not sure if that colour has an official name). Both are made in Glasgow. I believe the Salmon Pink one is from 1961. The new grey/blue one might be earlier? It has the round key tops, and I noticed no rule markings in it as well. Serial number seems to be T7788461.

03-10-2019 06:01:46  #2

Re: New Lettera 22 - Help dating it please?

Correction - T7788451

I have checked out Typewriter Database, but the serial numbers seem to be 6 digit rather than 7 digit (although there are 7 digit, but not that high).

04-10-2019 17:11:17  #3

Hi there
There is a separate line for the Glasgow Lettera 32 models in the database, but only mention of one serial number from 1980...
The factory in Glasgow opened in 1948, if memory serves me, and the Lettera model clearly made up a good part of its production, along with the Lexicon standard model. I have an early M44, which seems to have been unique to the Glasgow factory. Given that you are in Oz, you may have already seen the brochure and photos posted on the oztypewriter site, of production at the Glasgow factory? If not, it's well worth a look.
Sorry, can't help on the serial number...!
I've not yet acquired a Lettera, but it's on my wish list - keep missing them on eBay.
Ian J

04-10-2019 21:29:06  #4

Thanks for the info, Ian.

I noticed another difference between the two Lettera 22s. The case for the pink one is lined with a tartan fabric, while the new blue one is lined in a drab tan colour. I don’t know if that’s an indicator of being from before or after a certain date, or in line with other places of manufacture?

I’ve just been down to the hardware and bought 3/16” x 5/16” rubber wiring grommets, which are perfect for replacing the perished ones on the Lettera 22. At the moment, the aluminium shell is rattling around on the screws. Other than that, it’s working quite well. It is skipping occasionally, so I’ll have to figure out how to clean and/or lubricate the escapement.

Best of luck in your search for a Lettera. They’re small, but have a satisfying weight to them.

08-10-2019 00:25:36  #5

I received advice that this serial is from 1960, if anyone is interested.

Board footera