You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-10-2019 12:24:42  #1

Looking for an Alternative to Harsh Solvents

Long story short,  I have Multiple Sclerosis and ever since I've gotten sick I've been very sensitive to chemicals, giving me dizziness, convulsions, etc.

I'm looking for an alternative to harsh solvents (Naphtha, mineral spirits), for cleaning out segments and mechanics. I don't want it to be water based because I don't want water in the mechanics, so I'm asking if anyone knows of any solvents that are low/no odour and won't make me so sick. Despite wearing gloves and a respirator, I still get really bad whenever I use solvents.

Do you know of any non-water based solvents that are low or no vapour?

I appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

24-10-2019 13:30:01  #2

Re: Looking for an Alternative to Harsh Solvents

Maybe this - https://gamblincolors.com/oil-painting/gamsol/
"Gamsol is the safest solvent that allows oil painters to utilize all traditional painting techniques without compromise."

It's available in the UK and US. (note - I have not tried it but also have interest in using softer solvents as white spirit stinks quite a bit despite working well)

24-10-2019 15:25:43  #3

Thank you for the suggestion! 

I actually just by coincidence came back from the hardware store after picking up my local equivalent of it. I assume what I have is a little lower quality, but it produces absolutely no discernable smell at all. 

The SDS says the only ingredient is naphtha, so it's undoubtedly still releasing fumes, but hopefully with a respirator and ventilation it'll be a lot less bothersome than the regular variety. 

Guess we'll find out!

24-10-2019 17:58:00  #4

Well, the good news is that it doesn't make me sick, so that part is excellent.

The less good news is that it also doesn't work that well.

I suppose I'm not really surprised, it may not be possible to find something that's both effective and low odor, while not being water based. 

Still though, even with it requiring more time and energy, having an option is great.

26-10-2019 19:51:08  #5

Gamsol odorless mineral spirits does work. Using it requires several applications. I use it exclusively on all my typewriters.

28-10-2019 07:33:39  #6

Have you tried gun cleaner? It is usually kerosene based and a good product. It does smell but not as bad as other solvents I’ve used. Or I find that lacquer thinner in a small squeeze bottle doesn’t get smelly.

Board footera