You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-10-2019 22:45:33  #1

It's so nice to have a 5 around the house

I Just acquired an Underwood 5.  I know they are a ubiquitous machine, but I haven't had one since the 90s, and the price was right on this one. I used one for years.  I am curious about the textured metal panel on the front. There is no Underwood logo on it and no indication it ever existed. As well, the Underwood 5 logo is absent from the front of the frame -- not worn off ; it was never there. Anyone know if this was a "special" machine not used by the general public? On an extensive 'net search, I found one similar to it on eBay with the same textured panel and no logos. This was out of the dozens currently listed. The serial number on mine (1887204-5) puts it as manufactured in 1924, best as I can tell. Thanks in advance for any insights.

The typewriter gives me things I don't even know I'm working on.  ~ Charles Bukowski

25-10-2019 00:14:19  #2

Re: It's so nice to have a 5 around the house

It was likely reconditioned, refurbished, or rebuilt at some point in its history, at which point it was repainted in textured paint by a dealer, shop, or factory. It is quite common to see standards that were redone in textured paint.

25-10-2019 00:46:17  #3

I considered that, but everything else on the machine is stock 20s U5 -- key tops, mechanics, glossy paint all over with pinstriping; it's just a metal panel framing the basket that is textured and where the UW logo would ordinarily be just beneath the basket is blank..  It's really attractive.  I know of the recons of 20s/30s machines, but this is like 99% stock original.  I failed to mention the Underwood logo is per usual on the paper table though.  I have a pic, but am a bit of a luddite and can't figure out how to post it here.  I will look at the forum FAQs.

The typewriter gives me things I don't even know I'm working on.  ~ Charles Bukowski

25-10-2019 01:11:02  #4

It could have just had those specific parts replaced or repainted at some point. Other things may have been as well, even it they are in the factory style. Without knowing its service history, one can only speculate.

Board footera