You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-1-2020 11:43:35  #1

Oliver No. 5 - carriage skipping

Hello,

A friend of mine just gave me an Oliver No. 5 dating from 1913.  It is my first and it seems to be in a worn but usable state - I hope!  Personally, I like to think it has "character".

I've cleaned it up and replaced the draw cord hook. It is missing the covers for the ribbon holders and the pencil-holding bar, but is otherwise complete.  It seems to type fine but the carriage often skips forward.  This problem seems to get worse towards the end of a line of typing until it jumps the last inch or so to the right margin.  I looked from the side and shined a light on the gear that engages the carriage and it seems that the gear doesn't always pop back fully into place against the teeth on the carriage after each key stroke.  

This link is to a photo I found online of a later model Oliver, but it shows a side view of the gear I am talking about together with its operating mechanism, removed from the machine.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1GOfq2l4-3A/VThoVD7DnSI/AAAAAAAAAhk/D896LamcRnU/s1600/IMG_1890.JPG
This gear moves forward and back to engage the teeth on the carriage during each key stroke.  (This would be left and right in this side view image.)

Is their an adjustment, spring replacement, or perhaps something needing a better cleaning that could fix this? 

Any help is appreciated!

Mark

28-1-2020 22:18:10  #2

Re: Oliver No. 5 - carriage skipping

After viewing some helpful videos online, I got in there and more thoroughly cleaned the carriage and gears - and the problem seems to have gone away!  I suspect there was a bit of debris in the teeth that was causing the gear to jump out of engagement and slip.

Thanks!

Mark

02-2-2020 00:00:49  #3

Re: Oliver No. 5 - carriage skipping

Hello again,

Here's a photo of my Oliver 5. 

So far I have cleaned it, straightened a bent actuating rod for the "N" key, made a new hook for the carriage string, made a tiny steel wheel to replace the a missing one on the paper guide, adjusted some misaligned key buttons, adjusted the ribbon vibrator position, realigned several key strikers, cleaned the type face and fiddled with many screws trying to figure out what does what.  - In a word: FUN!

I have a new ribbon with wooden spools on order.

It is missing the pencil holder and the two ribbon covers.  If anyone knows where I might find these parts, I'd love to know!

Mark

Board footera