You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-2-2020 23:05:00  #1

Removing Platen from Olympia B12

Greetings All

Does anyone know the correct procedure for removing the platen from a Nakajima built Olympia B12 S/N 6005608 ? Thanks in advance,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

09-2-2020 00:25:40  #2

Re: Removing Platen from Olympia B12

Hi, it's me again

Just got digging through some of my archives and found the procedure on page 219 and 220 of The Typewriter Repair Manual by Howard Hutchinson (ISBN 0-8306-0034-6). Both platen knobs thread into the platen with right hand threads. The platen knob shafts are a taper fit with a threaded end, so can be a bit of a challenge to get loose. A length of medium grit emery tape (grit side in) wrapped around the platen will hold the platen firmly enough to release the friction of the taper lock. The platen then just lifts out. All the very best,

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

09-2-2020 15:10:30  #3

Re: Removing Platen from Olympia B12

One more note

The platen of the American Crafts We-R-Memory Keepers unit comes out the exact same way. When reinstalling the platen, release the feed roll tension, set the line space selector to R so the detent roller is disengaged and lift the erasure table just enough to slip the platen under it. The platen appears to fit either way round, so if one end is more worn than the other, just flip it end for end. Reinstall both platen knobs finger tight, set all controls back to normal and you're back in business. Happy Typing All

Sky

Board footera