You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-2-2020 12:57:27  #1

Grandfather with a typewriter

I found this jewel of a photo among old pictures.  Do any of you know which typewriter it is? It looks like a Remington  without the cover. 

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

26-2-2020 15:00:50  #2

Re: Grandfather with a typewriter

Off the top of my head, I would say that it is a Remington Quiet-Riter,  What do other members think ?

26-2-2020 15:19:41  #3

I suspected as much due to the return lever and thick keys. It would be great to have the same typewriter.

26-2-2020 22:50:22  #4

Hi Typeset

That is a Remington Travel-Riter for sure, see the manual ribbon reverse lever just above the 2 key and the carriage lock lever on the right hand edge of the front bezel. The machine looks identical to my 1956 Travel-Riter S/N TR-214734. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-2-2020 23:41:00  #5

Hi Again Typeset

Check out eBay item 303501860241 if you were interested in obtaining a Remington Travel-Riter. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

29-2-2020 12:40:59  #6

They're great typewriters, and definitely worth owning one. Fantastic photo, not just because of family history, but also it demonstrates why a surprising number of typewriters today are sold without ribbon covers. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-3-2020 12:25:11  #7

Thanks to all for the info and kind words. Sky, I have my eyes on it but just ordered two--an Optima Elite and a Mercedes Prima---and may order an Optima M10, at which point I will be tossed into the street by "upper management." So maybe not for now, but definitely for the future: it would be thrilling to use the same typewriter. Uwe, why are the covers missing? That has always baffled me.

02-3-2020 13:40:39  #8

typeset wrote:

Uwe, why are the covers missing? That has always baffled me.

It's a mystery to me as well. Could it simply be that some people didn't bother to replace them after installing a new ribbon, and then allowed them to go adrift until they were lost? I used to speculate that it was subsequent owners that were responsible for misplacing ribbon covers, but as your photo demonstrates, original owners such as your grandfather (an assumption based on the photo) were the likely culprits.

Perhaps Tom (typewriterman) might have a more definitive answer; I'm sure he's seen many a machine come in for service over the years that didn't have a ribbon cover - and might have asked the owner where it was.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-3-2020 15:20:27  #9

One of my Tippa's has a problem with the ribbon auto reverse.
I need to take of the cover to manually switch the ribbon direction.
This might be another way to lose ribbon covers...

02-3-2020 15:34:23  #10

I like to think that these grizzled typewriter owners of times past used the cover as an ashtray while they swigged from a bottle in the top drawer. 

Board footera