You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-4-2020 15:10:50  #1

Olympia SM4 Variable

I have an SM4 that has a variable or line space adjuster.  It was option for Olympia portables, not all had them. The spring for this thing is very hefty.  A former owner pulled the right platen knob off using it as a fulcrum trying to push the button, I mean it's so tough to depress it's virtually unusable.  Any other Olympia users out there notice this?  The platen rod is free to move and there doesn't appear to be any mechanical resistance other than just the spring.  I've removed the platen and variable assembly.  The compression spring looks factory, but what a tough one.

04-4-2020 15:20:33  #2

Re: Olympia SM4 Variable

This isn't normal.  There is no way that you should have to apply that much pressure to release the freehead.  Someone must have lost the original spring and fitted whatever was to hand.

04-4-2020 17:55:38  #3

Re: Olympia SM4 Variable

Perhaps.  But I see absolutely no evidence of this ever being taken apart.  The "freehead" is part of a caged assembly containing the spring, and is quite deal getting it apart and together without a jig for such work.  I suppose it's a factory foul up, as rare as they may be.  I substituted a lighter spring requiring half the effort, but still sufficient to hold the platen to the line spacer.  It now works as easy as the others and very usable. 

Board footera