You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-4-2020 21:15:31  #1

Remette carriage lock

My question is does it even have one?  The right platen knob (the only platen knob) pulls all the way out to the right during operation, but this machine does not seem to have the carriage-locking mechanism of the earlier Remington portables, even though it appears to be constructed similarly.  On the earlier Remington portables, there is a small level behind the left carriage release lever which is pulled up toward the user after which the carriage is moved to the right with the platen knob pushed all the way in, and the carriage will lock into position for replacement in the case.  The Remette does not seem to have a locking mechanism, and there doesn't appear to be anything missing hardware-wise on the machine.  I only assumed the carriage would lock because the platen knob pulls all the way out to the right, which on the earlier portables unlocks the carriage and prepares one to type.  Am I missing something here?

The typewriter gives me things I don't even know I'm working on.  ~ Charles Bukowski

11-4-2020 04:24:08  #2

Re: Remette carriage lock

The Remette was Remington's Depression-era portable, built as cheaply as possible to enable it to compete with second hand typewriters at a time when the general public had very little money to spend.  To keep costs down, Remington omitted anything that was deemed unnecessary to the operation of the machine - even the bell and right hand margin.  This also included the carriage lock of course.  Instead of a carriage lock, there is a little red line painted onto the front of the carriage where the scale would go (if it had one, which it hasn't !)  The idea is that the carriage is centred onto the red line before it is put back into its carry case.  The only thing that is a wonder is that these machines were sold with a carry case at all.  Perhaps Remington thought that a canvas bag would be a step too far ! 

11-4-2020 13:29:43  #3

Re: Remette carriage lock

Thank you kindly for the response.  I'm happy my intuition about said lock didn't fail me this time.  I knew the Remette to be a bargain-basement/bare bones machine, but I could not be sure about that carriage lock. 

Oddly enough, once you get cracking on it, it's not a bad little performer; I quite like using it -- "bare bones" and all!

Kind regards,
S.B.

The typewriter gives me things I don't even know I'm working on.  ~ Charles Bukowski

Board footera