You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2020 11:38:51  #1

Favourite typewriter ribbon colour and typewriter combination.

I recently procured an Olympia 99 that is black with off white keys. 
After some thought I decided to purchase a brown typewriter ribbon and install it.
From my perspective it is the perfect combination given the handsome 1930'esque design of the Oly. S99 as well as being easy on the eye when typing on cream paper.
In the fountain pen community this is an oft asked question so I was wondering if there were such thoughts regarding typewriters.
So, does anyone else have a preferred ribbon colour for their particular make/model or not?

09-6-2020 13:42:24  #2

Re: Favourite typewriter ribbon colour and typewriter combination.

In general I prefer black. But for my blue Olympia Traveller I have a black/blue ribbon. The blue is a nice secondary color (less alarming than red), I use the blue for highlighting and the like.

10-6-2020 22:08:15  #3

GreyFriar wrote:

I recently procured an Olympia 99 ... From my perspective it is the perfect combination given the handsome 1930'esque design of the Oly. S99 as well as being easy on the eye when typing on cream paper.

The Splendid models, which were really just Olympia SF machines with different options, dates from the 1960s (although the first SF premiered in 1956).  

The only model/ribbon option that I've stuck with is blue ribbon in my oldest Continental. It just looks right to me and suits the machine's typeface. With respect to all of my other typewriters, my ribbon choice is determined by what I'm typing as opposed to what is being used to type with.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-6-2020 12:26:36  #4

Uwe wrote:

GreyFriar wrote:

I recently procured an Olympia 99 ... From my perspective it is the perfect combination given the handsome 1930'esque design of the Oly. S99 as well as being easy on the eye when typing on cream paper.

The Splendid models, which were really just Olympia SF machines with different options, dates from the 1960s (although the first SF premiered in 1956).  

The only model/ribbon option that I've stuck with is blue ribbon in my oldest Continental. It just looks right to me and suits the machine's typeface. With respect to all of my other typewriters, my ribbon choice is determined by what I'm typing as opposed to what is being used to type with.

Thank you for your response.
I knew that the Oly Splendids date from the early 1960's but the shape and colour combination (black body, chrome accents and off white keys) give them a 1930esque vibe .
A very nice shade of blue there. Which company makes those blue/black ribbons?

19-6-2020 11:00:13  #5

I honestly don't recall where I got the blue ribbon from. It is newly made, as opposed to NOS or something that was on a machine I bought.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera