You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-5-2020 15:14:24  #91

Re: Typewriters in the Movies

That's an interesting observation. How would the type have been constructed then? And is it the same script typeface that was used for the actor's first names? The title has a drop shadow that is consistent in those broken transitions.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-5-2020 12:14:07  #92

There is enough inconsistency that it might have been done by hand; the letters in the larger "viene" are different from the same letters below and that works against the idea of a computer job. But why a calligrapher would have made such ugly transitions ... they would have to be so deliberate.

Letraset wasn't used until about the '60s, but they did have indexing lines printed below the letters for help in alignment, and if followed slavishly could produce this effect. If there were a precursor to that system.....  The drop shadow is certainly consistent with computer graphics but could easily be hand-done, too. Is there any chance this could be a modern (re)construction, fan art? With fold lines to age it, like "antique" Queen Anne furniture made in SE Asia in 1993. ... Sorry, for a moment there it just seemed like there weren't enough conspiracy theories in the world. Anyway, that's all the forensics I have patience for today.

Hard to tell with the small size of the first names, but the "r" is definitely different and the "a" looks fatter, too.

05-5-2020 14:23:14  #93

I'm fairly certain it's an original poster from the late '40s, which of course would eliminate computer associated layout errors.

My assumption had been that it was hand painted. I still remember the artwork on commercial trucks - complete with drop shadows - still being hand painted into the early '90s, around the time that vinyl stencil cutting became the next thing.

I had completely forgotten about Letraset! Maybe I wanted to forget all that time I spent (wasted) with rulers and lining up those alignment marks just to create a heading or label on something.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2020 12:08:59  #94

Just as a follow up to the Olivetti film poster, I asked fellow TT member Valiant to weigh in with his thoughts. He's a graphics professional and extremely knowledgeable on the subject of art:

Valiant wrote:

My initial thought was that the poster would have been hand lettered. That’s the beauty of all those old movie posters — and I have several books FULL of vintage movie poster reproductions, because I love the art form.

I had second thoughts, though, on account of the transitions between letters, which M. Höhne drew attention to. So I went on line and found a high res version of the poster and took a close look at it.

I’d say it is definitely hand lettered, throughout (ie. the italic type and the roman type, caps and lower case). I’ve compared several of the repeated letters to each other, and though they look similar — or identical — when I copy and paste them on top of each other the differences become apparent.

The hand lettering is excellent (as is the whole poster), of course it would be; the Italians know what they are doing! So I doubt that the lettering artist was junior or didn’t understand how letters should be joined to each other.

I’d say those transitions — which appear awkward — are a deliberate artistic contrivance.

I see the description says "Italian poster sports the distinctive artwork of master Ercole Brini.”  It doesn’t specify if he is also the typographic artist.

15-5-2020 18:47:19  #95

Uwe, thank you for following through on this poster, beyond what I would have expected. Thanks for enlisting expert testimony. I will agree with Valiant all the way through, including that the transitions look awkward and would have to be deliberate. So now I wonder what the intention was, since it got a negative reaction from me, and, perhaps, others. The poster that wouldn't retire. If I were the artist, I would be tickled to know that it still is attracting attention seventy years later!

Board footera