You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-9-2015 11:55:50  #21

Re: Typewriters in the Movies

JanetLand wrote:

Watched the old Fred Astaire/Cyd Charisse musical Silk Stockings this weekend. Cyd Charisse plays a Soviet official sent to Paris to bring back a wayward composer. When she arrives at her hotel, she immediately starts typing on the Olympia SM3 she's brought with her (that curvy case shows to great advantage). Funny, I didn't know they made those in the Soviet Union . . . .

Strange. I know the film, and unless I'm thinking of a completely different scene, my memory of the typewriter that was being used is completely different. I'll have to look through my film stills and see if I can find what it is that I'm thinking about. 

EDIT: Ha! Was I ever WAY off the mark...  I think what tripped me up was the comment about a Russian in a hotel room. What I was thinking about was the film Nanotchka, and instead of Charise it was Garbo, instead of a SM3, it was a Remington Portable N°2 - also a machine that wasn't made in the Soviet Union. 

Last edited by Uwe (08-9-2015 12:08:30)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-9-2015 14:18:21  #22

One of my favorites has always been the scene in "His Girl Friday" where Rosalind Russel is furiously typing away her scoop story.

11-9-2015 03:47:46  #23

Uwe wrote:

JanetLand wrote:

When she arrives at her hotel, she immediately starts typing on the Olympia SM3 she's brought with her (that curvy case shows to great advantage). Funny, I didn't know they made those in the Soviet Union . . . .

What I was thinking about was the film Nanotchka, and instead of Charise it was Garbo, instead of a SM3, it was a Remington Portable N°2 - also a machine that wasn't made in the Soviet Union.  

Heh! Seen one typewriter, seen 'em all... Just drag one over from the offices, willya?

16-11-2015 05:47:22  #24

Went to see The Lady In The Van yesterday and almost squeaked out loud when Bennet was typing away on a Lettera 22 in the first five minutes!

24-3-2016 23:53:40  #25

I'm going to go out on a limb and talk about something semi-related to this thread.  Since the last post was entered November, 2015, only five months old, I figure it's safe to go ahead and do so, since someone might come along and read, who knows?  Okay, that out of the way, here goes:  Typewriters on Television.  Yes, there were the typewriters that the regulars used.  "Barney Miller," an old 1970's cop show/sitcom I used to love to watch, had a BUNCH of old typewriters in their precinct 12 office.  Along with Nick Yamana's undrinkable coffee, the bathroom that was a nightmare, and the loonies they pulled in, there were the battlescarred, scratched-up, heavily used, and very American, old typewriters--Royals, Remingtons, and at least one 1956 Underwood SX-150.  That was Phil Fish's machine.  There was also the ubiquitous (always there, at least on that show) Royal KHM with the 10-key decimal tabulator.  No one used it, but it was there.  I think it sat on that shelf from the first episode in 1973 to the very last in 1982.  Anyway, it was a funny show, and I think I'll root through my VHS tapes and watch a few episodes.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-3-2016 10:49:08  #26

I too was aware of Populariare but could not watch it because the DVD was not made for Region 1 players (in my case the U.S.). Luckily, I recently discovered that it was available through streaming services and my brother found it on his Netflix service. Excellent movie indeed. I did have a question about the final contest and the machine used by the US champ. I quick look at the badge when it appeared showed "ICM" with wings. Not familiar with that one and a quicker search uncovered nothing. Of course, the subplot about the typewriter ball just adds to the implication that it was IBM. I've read elsewhere that the US champ was using an Underwood. Any ideas?

I too look for typewriters in movies and even TV. While not showing any machines, several medical claims lawyer firm ads use typewriter clacking sounds to spell out the message...keystroke by keystroke. Now I wonder if the sounds actually match the letters being typed? Visually, it appears so.

25-3-2016 15:57:38  #27

RayM wrote:

...a question about the final contest and the machine used by the US champ. I quick look at the badge when it appeared showed "ICM" with wings. Not familiar with that one and a quicker search uncovered nothing.

It's unmistakably a mid-'50s Underwood SX150. And ICM is a fictional company; given the complexities and legalities of contemporary filmmaking with its sensitivities to copyrights, trademarks, and revenue generated by product placements, it was probably necessary to fabricate a typewriter manufacturer for the film.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2016 17:20:11  #28

This reminds me a lot of what they do to some typewriters on television and the movies--they tape over the names of the typewriter manufacturers.  I specifically remember the machine Raymond Burr used in "Godzilla."  It was an Underwood SX-150, but the name on the back was taped over.  Also, last night on one of my "Barney Miller" tapes, the SX-150 Phil Fish used didn't have a name on the back of it at all, but the brand, like on "Godzilla," was unmistakable.  The picture shown for the movie described above looks almost just like a '56 model Underwood I own--except, of course for the logo.  It looks like they've got it on the firmest touch setting on the left hand side.  I usually keep mine on the lowest--which would put that little lever to the top.  How do they discuss a "typewriter ball" when this is obviously a typebar machine?  Could it be they were talking about another typewriter?  And as for the name, it had to be a changeup for IBM.  Could it possibly stand for International Communications Machines?  One last thing, the front logo sort of reminds me of the one Underwood used from 1953-55 when it read:  "Speeds the World's Business."  

25-3-2016 17:32:31  #29

I looked up the movie just now, and not to be an English teacher about it, the name of it is Populaire, for those like me who want to find out more about it.  It sounds like a romantic comedy.  I saw lots of typewriters even in the preview.  This could prove very interesting.  It also looks like it was set in the 1950s, which too could be interesting.  I also dig watching the old cars and identifying them (I just LOVE the way those old boats looked).

25-3-2016 17:57:37  #30

TypewriterKing wrote:

I looked up the movie just now, and not to be an English teacher about it, the name of it is Populaire, for those like me who want to find out more about it.  It sounds like a romantic comedy.  I saw lots of typewriters even in the preview.  This could prove very interesting.  It also looks like it was set in the 1950s, which too could be interesting.

You might be interested in the first few posts of this thread.

Board footera