You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-6-2020 13:14:09  #1

Olympia SF carriage bearing placement?

Working on this very dirty, gummed up Olympia SF, I wound up removing the carriage. A few reasons for this: at the end of a line, when the carriage hits the margin stop, it engages the plate which prevents over-typing. At the same time, the carriage wouldn't return right. I found out that I had to push the right side of the carriage gently then the escapement will drop and allow it to move.
Also, the rails were gummed up with hardened oil and eraser shavings so the carriage just had to be removed in order to clean all these parts.
I still haven't fixed the escapement issue, but I think it may be an adjustment on the "hook" of the right margin stop. If not that, hopefully obsessive cleaning.
Now, getting the bearing retainers back in the rails properly is becoming a giant PITA. Is there any technique or position these have to be in to get this done correctly?
Thanks all,
Phil Forrest

29-6-2020 14:24:23  #2

Re: Olympia SF carriage bearing placement?

Hi Phil,

I had once a SF that had all kind of troubles when reaching the right-hand margin stop. In my case it had to do with the margin release system, some levers where mis-aligned. Check the lever that goes from the MR key to the back of the machine (to bypass the margin stop) as well as the little levers and springs below the MR key (that provide the key lock).

Lau

29-6-2020 14:27:37  #3

UPDATE: I got the bearings back on the track properly but the problem at the end of the line still persists even after cleaning everything.
It takes just a slight nudge on the right side of the carriage in order to get the escapement to drop which enables carriage return. I can't figure out where the adjustment would be to get this working properly.
Thanks all,
Phil Forrest

29-6-2020 14:34:42  #4

Thanks Lau,
I was suspecting that area as well, since I had to replace a spring down there which links the margin release mechanism and the key lock. That area of the machine had some junk spilled on it in some decade prior and it was all gummed up badly. Perhaps more cleaniing in that part of the mechanism is in order. I should get a can of carb or brake cleaner and really do it right. I've been using naptha and judicious scrubbing to get my typewriters clean lately but perhaps it isn't working as well as something like brake cleaner which instantly removes all that grease under pressure.
Phil Forrest

29-6-2020 14:41:52  #5

Sometimes more cleaning is indeed in order. Make sure fo flush out the gunk, that is an important detail.

However, I'm not entirely sure if I understand the problem correct, what do you mean with "...in order to get the escapement to drop which enables carriage return."

Lau

29-6-2020 14:56:24  #6

At the end of the line, when the carriage hits the margin stop, I can't push the carriage back to the right. This is prevented at the position when the escapement is tilted or disengaged from the escapement gear. The dog which catches the teeth is sitting just above and will only click down to allow the carriage to unlock and be returned to the right. To get this to happen, it takes a gentle nudge on the right side of the carriage. I don't know what the mechanism that physically holds the carriage is since I couldn't see it working. All I could detect was the escapement moving just a millimeter or two. When it did this, then the carriage can be moved correctly and easily.
Phil Forrest

29-6-2020 15:24:32  #7

Thank you, that clariefies the matter a lot. I don't have a SF opened up right now to take a look and simulate the problem. Hoewever, the first thing that comes to my mind is that almost all escapment problems I have encountered or heard of, had to to with the little paperclip-like spring inside the escapement. Sometimes the spring may become out of shape or alignment. I once posted a GIF of the spring as a reference how it should look and move, but I can't find the post that fast, so below I post it again I hope it is of help.

29-6-2020 16:16:19  #8

I was curious, so I opened up one of my Travellers. For your reference: the tilting part goes only up when you press a key or the space bar. When pressing a key it tilts up and down lightning fast. Holding down the space bar keeps it up, until you release the space bar. Moving the carriage to the left or right by hand does not tilt the part. The normal position is lowered, and it should be lowered as the margin is reached.

However, when testing out the above, the problem you described occured a few times. Very random, and hard to reproduce in my case. The constant factor was that it only occured when reaching the margin. Two times I managed to reproduce the issue by fiddling with the margin stop, trying to set it in between two positions. This suggests to me it may be worth to try to re-adjust the margin rack slightly

30-6-2020 07:25:53  #9

It was the margin rack. I adjusted it left thenthe carriage wouldn't move at all when it hit the end of the line. Then I adjusted it right and voila! Thanks foor your help!
Phil Forrest

Board footera