You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-8-2020 15:37:35  #1

Olympia SM2 uneven key

Greetings,

The C-key on my SM2 is noticeable lower. Compared to the other levers, the lever of the C-key looks normal, except for being lower somehow. The type action is normal when hitting the key, but the type arm returns slightly slower, a little sluggish.

Apparently my SM2 is not the only one with this issue:
https://typewriterdatabase.com/1955-olympia-sm2.7639.typewriter
https://typewriterdatabase.com/1960-olympia-sm2.13242.typewriter

Does someone knows more about the matter?

Thanks,
Lau

17-1-2021 09:08:44  #2

Re: Olympia SM2 uneven key

Lau,

Does your C-type-slug return to its full "rest" position of the rest-bar bumper ?

If not, the narrow slot in the metal "comb" through which the type-key lever travels might be a bit too narrow and is slowing the C-key's full return even with spring tension.

If yes, could your type-key lever need to be formed (i.e. bent) up a bit ?

17-1-2021 09:12:07  #3

p.s.  I use a long narrow-blade flat screwdriver to make such narrow-slot adjustments in the "comb".

But open up just a little.  If you open up one slot too much, the adjacent slot will then become too narrow and the non-returning problem will transfer to that adjacent type-key.

Some times it takes a little trial & error to get it right.

18-1-2021 14:39:57  #4

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I have sold the SM2, so I can not take a look at it anymore. But I remember that everything looked normal and straight, so it was a mystery to me why the key was lower.

But, speaking about bending, I do have a general question. Type armes and other levers are clearly designed not to be bent vertically. So I am not comfortable doing so. I have tried it one or two times very gently, with no result. Any thoughs or tips about this subject?

Lau

18-1-2021 14:58:25  #5

Since the C-type-key lever is on the bottom row, its length is the longest.  And has a better chance of being formed upwards a bit (from the underside of the machine). 

Another option would be to file the top of the slot in the metal comb to make it taller so the C-type-key lever can travel a bit higher to become even with the other keys at rest.  This would take a set of very fine/small jeweler's files.

Board footera