You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-9-2020 14:27:40  #1

The Halberg project

Two weeks ago I bought a Halberg Junior on the local online marketplace.
The machine was in bad shape, but nevertheless I deceided to try to restore it to working condition. A nice project to explore the design of the only Dutch typewriter ever made.

The Halberg came without its case lid. The margin rack was missing. The paper table was attached to the carriage with non-original screws. The aluminium paper table, ribbon cover and carriage ends were bend. The feed rollers did not turn. The rubber feet seemed melted, and disintegrated on touch. Paint and chrome were badly worn. Everywhere I looked I saw rust, corrosion, dirt and oil. The machine smelled like an engine block.

The only way to bring this project to an end was to start working, without thinking too much about the things that needed to be done. I worked on the Halberg continuously for 9 days. Some days one hour, but most of the days much more.

During the project I discovered the ribbon vibrator and a piece of the left ribbon transport group were broken and carefully soldered back. I also found a lot of damaged screw heads inside the machine, mostly on the carriage.

Today I finished the restoration. The machine works, although not perfect. More work and exploration is needed, but I was able to type a two page letter to a friend with my 1952 Halberg.

Below some pictures of the project.

24-9-2020 14:42:04  #2

Re: The Halberg project

Can you show us the geared part of the typebar linkage that you mention in another thread? I would love to compare it with the Remington system.

24-9-2020 14:47:32  #3

I already did

24-9-2020 16:22:45  #4

O, yeah, the other thread. Fairly different. Here the gear segment (machinist's term, not the typewriter usage) is in the middle of the linkage and on the Remingtons, it's on the typebar at the end on the linkages. In both, it is used to compress the space needed for the acceleration compared to plain levers. More obvious on the Rems so it's good to know that Halberg used it, too. Thanks.

08-12-2020 06:25:14  #5

I found another one! This time in much better condition. Works better than expected, the same goes for the print quality.

What puzzles me is this. Newspaper ads from 1953 offered the Halberg for Fl. 250 and the Lettera 22 for Fl. 295. While the Halberg is an okay machine, it is no match for the Lettera. Now I am wondering: was the Halberg overprized or the Lettera underprized?

09-12-2020 05:31:25  #6

My guess is a bit of each regarding the pricing.  Olivetti were a large organisation with factories in several countries and had the economies of scale (even though no doubt the Letttera 22 was expensive to produce) so could sell at a reasonable price. Halberg was a small firm with only one factory and a relative newcomer.  They had to undercut Olivetti since people buy on price as much as wanting to buy a domestic-manufactured product might influence them, but given their overheads it was probably the best they could do.  Yes, I would have bought the Olivetti too.  Sorry to say, it is a much better typewriter !

10-12-2020 14:11:50  #7

thetypewriterman wrote:

... as wanting to buy a domestic-manufactured product...

That is indeed a selling point in some of the ads I have seen. Another frequently used selling point is that the Halberg is a solid typewriter. Quite a statement, especially with the Lettera in mind.

26-4-2022 06:25:06  #8

Hello all,

Does anybody know what is written on the second line of the decal below? The line right after "OFFICE EQUIPMENT". The decal is located on the paper table of a 1951 or 1952 Halberg Traveller with English keyboard.

Thanks in advance,
Lau

26-4-2022 10:55:09  #9

Hi Laurenz

The second line is evidently a name & name combination, I'm assuming that of the company who imported, distributed or sold these typewriters. The first word appears to be MANSROLA &, but the second word is a little harder to decipher, however it does appear to end with an STRIL'S. Maybe a couple more pictures from slightly different angles might help. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

27-4-2022 11:13:46  #10

Thanks Sky. I had not thought of MANSROLA. I think you may be right about the MANS and OLA part, but the R seems too wide to me. Could it be a M? That would give us MANSMOLA. The last part of the second word looks like ITRACY to me. Unfortunately, I do not have other images.

Lau

Board footera