You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-9-2020 08:30:15  #1

Klein Adler 2

I recently acquired a fairly shabby Klein Adler 2. I soon realized that this machine was not complete, it was in fact missing its carriage return lever. Fortunately I later found on the same site, Marktplaats, an Adler 30 which had the necessary part and I  was able to get it for a very low price. I now have both machines and am able to compare them in detail. It appears that the ‘30’ although extremely dirty, is in better condition than the Klein 2.
I have a question about the serial numbers of these machines, Klein Adler 2, Adler 30, Adlerette, Adlerito, etc. Are they all numbered as if they were the same series when they left the production line or has each nomination got a separate series of numbers? If the former is the case that would put the ‘30’ at 1927 and the Klein 2 at 1929.
The reason I got the first machine is the fact that the type bars work in a completely different way to a ‘regular’ typewriter and now that I have these examples I can well understand why the system was not taken up generally, there is too much fiction involved resulting in wear which the more conventional system avoids. It is still interesting to have in my small collection and I shall enjoy making one good one out of the two.
Happy tapping, Woodman

Board footera