You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-10-2020 12:28:32  #1

Imperial Standard 50 Stuck in Various Places

I recently acquired an Imperial Standard 50 (large, heavy thing - but beautiful) which came with so much rust that I had no idea the machine was meant to be black! It has the "British Right Through" decal at the front and should be glossy (it's not, but that's a different story). 

After dissolving the majority of the rust (scrubbing was not enough, I had to soak them then "pop" the colonies of rust with a toothpick) and dislodging dust and rotting paper out from underneath the carriage, the basic functions of the machine work. I can type quite smoothly - my Good Companion should be jealous! - but I have found three issues:

1. The basket will not respond to me using the shift keys. It is stuck in upper case unless I wiggle it up with my hands, but even that gives me immense resistance. 

2. When I do manage to force the basket up and type on lower case it is very much misaligned - it is all the way below one line, maybe even more. 

3. This one will sound like I'm daft, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the built-in metal spools. I will admit that they do have some rusting on the surface, since my brisk attempts at removing them resulted in some of the paint peeling and cracking. One metal spool (left) is not stuck, but it will not shift into place when I try to put it into place. The other (right) will not move whatsoever. When I type, it ticks along and functions as it should, but I cannot remove it so that I can wind a ribbon on it. 

Any help on any point would be much appreciated - I would hate to have to write in all caps on a carbon copy. 

Board footera