You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-10-2020 14:39:47  #1

Fixing Lettera 32 margin stop/over-typing problem

Hello! I bought a "mint" Olivetta Lettera 32 that has a problem I want to try and fix myself. No matter where I set the right margin, the machine will allow typebars to strike. I don't know the correct term. My other machines lock the typebars when I"m at the margin, forcing me to return to the next line or signaling I need to hit the margin release button. This machine doesn't give me that notice and I often over-strike.

Is this a mechanical problem that a somewhat technical person can fix without professional help?

Thanks in advance for the help. I love this machine and hate thinking more about the right margin than the next few words.

Regards,
Zack Self
Asheville NC

10-10-2020 02:35:25  #2

Re: Fixing Lettera 32 margin stop/over-typing problem

You mean the problem when the carriage stops at the right margin and you can still type at this position?

I don't have a Lettera 32, but I have a couple of Olivettis based on the same mechanics (e.g. the Olivetti Dora). And all of these machines have this problem (more or less).

Some time ago I took a closer look at my machines. I suspect that the part that was supposed to block typing is a faulty design or too weakly dimensioned so that it bends easily and then no longer works as expected.
Even if you bend it straight again, the problem will soon come back.

(With the Olivetti Studio 46, however, the stop on the right margin works without any problems.)

Board footera