You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-10-2020 10:11:54  #1

1967 Hermes Baby - In Bound...

Figured my 1968 Olympia SF could use a bit of company in my small collection.

I liked the dark key tops and the body panel and lid being mint green.

Hermes name badge is lifting up a bit, but a simple fix to that. 

Should have it in a week or so at my home.

28-10-2020 17:50:37  #2

Re: 1967 Hermes Baby - In Bound...

Looks really nice Pete.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

29-10-2020 02:52:11  #3

Congrats Pete, looks very nice indeed.
I am happy to see Hermes improved the Dutch keyboard, it finally has a semicolon.

I am under the impression the images are digitally enhanced.
I have seen this before, sellers turn okay looking machines into brand new looking machines by applying various filters to the images. If the machine is in good condition and the price is right, there is of course no problem. But be aware not to overpay because the machine is in 'mint condition'...

Lau

29-10-2020 09:33:04  #4

Hi Laurenz,

I am hopeful no "monkey business" with the photos. 

I am optimistic as the colors of the color-dots for the ribbon select-lever ldo seem to look "true" in the photos.  Same with the colors of the case handle and even the red in the B/R ribbon.

I did have an experience like you mentioned with another seller.  Green seafoam machine in the photos turned out to be sand-brown.  Seller had a return policy, so I only lost $ 45 in return shipping costs.

29-10-2020 12:26:41  #5

I agree about the colors, they are not enhanced or altered. I was referring to the absolute smooth, shiny and clean surfaces of the ribbon cover, keys and various chrome parts. Very unnatural. You can see the Photoshop filter in action in the first picture. Look at the paper bail, most lines from the scale are dissapeared.

29-10-2020 12:48:43  #6

Yes...1st. photo...maybe too much light...?

3rd. photo shows details of the paper bail and the paper tray so may be more "true" to real-life of typewriter's condition.

09-11-2020 17:20:25  #7

Did a deep clean and light lubrication, adjusted the "rest" position on the rest-bar of 2 keys and removed and gave all covers and body panels a good clean and deodorizing.

New ribbon wound on the Hermes marked metal spools.

Smelled a bit like my grandparents home in The Hague. Not bad...just a bit "old" smelling.

Types well...I just like my 1965 Olympia SF more with its heavier construction and large-machine feel.

But the Hermes Baby is a keeper. With lid, it weighs 7.4 lbs. whereas the Olympia SF without case weighs in at 9.8 lbs.

09-11-2020 20:14:50  #8

Sorry about the odd lighting effect in the photo.  Snowy day with poor natural lighting outside on the front porch.

Will post up some better ones in a few days when weather clears.

10-11-2020 05:16:20  #9

Hi Pete, your Baby looks very nice. It's interesting that you prefer your SF.
 I acquired another Olivetti Lettera 32, which is now my fourth Olivetti, including 2 x 32, 1 x 22, and 1 x DORA.
 My most recent 32 is like new, and has been in it's case for 45 years. It was absolutely clean, and simply needed a thorough oiling. My first 32 is from 1967, made in Italy, my second from 1974 made in Spain. The feel of each 32 is entirely different to the other, and by far the 1974 from Spain is superior. Possibly this is because of its almost unused condition.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

10-12-2022 15:11:48  #10

Took some time...but half way there.  1 of 2 Hermes stamped ribbon spools.  2nd. one may take the rest of my life and probably longer.

I think of all the metal spools thrown out for the "convenience" of using new ribbons on 2 plastic spools.

Board footera