You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-11-2020 21:54:47  #1

Children Typing Poetry

Greetings All

A few years ago, I picked up an Olivetti Lettera 32 through my local online classifieds. The machine received my usual deep cleaning and servicing, but when I came to use it, the dainty little keys were just too small for my 2XL hands. After a few years, one of our friend's 9 year old daughter became keenly interested in writing, and really wanted a manual typewriter. I gave her the 32 as a late Christmas present. There were shrieks of excitement as that unit was unwrapped.

It wasn't long before we heard the familiar sound of typing coming from the basement while us grown-ups were drinking tea and visiting. The next thing I knew, I was handed a typewritten thank you note and a poem. I had evidently stashed the poem in with some other papers and came across it just the other day. This is how the poem goes:

Tipetty tipetty tapit
The typer belongs to a rabbit
Once per day
He's kept at bay
By the serious writer's block

Through the city
Around the town
What's cut out
Is every noun
By the serious writer's block.

Although the poem doesn't have a name, I've called it "Writer's Block" by Sarah.

Hop you get a little chuckle out of this, I sure did. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

13-11-2020 16:34:48  #2

Re: Children Typing Poetry

Thanks for sharing, Sky.

I donated a Brother Opus to the inquisitive son of my wife's friend, and he apparently uses it daily. Spreading our interest in these machines by passing them around, particularly to those much younger than us, might just help to keep them viable for a few more generations to come.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera