You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-11-2020 18:57:02  #1

Royal Futura 800 - Hack/Modification

One of the bothersome features of this machine, is that Royal left the ribbon selector switch inside the ribbon cover.

I had some machine parts to dig through and found a nice paper bail lift-lever I could cut down a bit, form the cut end, and have it mate up to the existing ribbon selector lever under the ribbon cover.

So now I will be able to switch from stencil (never) and black or red ribbon from the OUTSIDE of the machine. "on-the-fly" while I am typing and not needing to open the ribbon cover and position/reposition the carriage, etc.

Only thing left to do is drill a small hole through the mating tabs and run a small nut/bolt through.

I can "undo" this modification at any time in the future if I desire to sell off the machine.

21-11-2020 19:03:23  #2

Re: Royal Futura 800 - Hack/Modification

And my Shop Goodwill "win" this week for $ 59 + $ 19 shipping will bring this new "Cocoa" colored Futura 800 to my home late next week or so.

I will get to do a similar "fix" on this machine, too.

22-11-2020 04:00:20  #3

Very practical, and I like the fact that you can undo the modification.

Off topic: I am wondering how these machines type. They are not common here, so I have never had the opportunity to try one. I do have a 1929 Royal P and a very late Royalite. I had an 1951 Arrow. Does the Futura feels like one of those?

22-11-2020 04:44:51  #4

Being in England, I haven't seen this model.  I cannot believe that a manufacturer would do such a stupid thing as to put the ribbon selector under the ribbon cover !  The touch selector, yes, but the ribbon selector ???????   

22-11-2020 08:31:43  #5

Hi Laurenz, very similar to my Olympia SM9 but the Royal Futura is a little bit more "silky" feeling.  The Royal lets me type really fast and without very many mis-types.

22-11-2020 08:37:10  #6

Hi Typewriterman, yes...very silly to do so...especially given the fact that they were doing this on the Royal FP office machine which was made around the same years the Future 800's were produced.

22-11-2020 10:34:13  #7

Hi Laurenz, I have a 1947 Royal QDL and a 1957 Royal QDL.  The Royal Futura 800 feels nothing like either of these 2 machines.

22-11-2020 15:52:19  #8

Thanks Pete, good to know. I have alway found the Futura design esthetically interesting. Yours looks very new BTW.

23-11-2020 13:49:55  #9

Here is my finished effort on my grey Futura 800.  I did have another lever in my parts bin to choose from that is a bit more sculpted and attractive, so I used it.  Added some peel & stick color "dots" I get at the crafts section in Wal-Mart.

My machine came from the surviving family when their 97 year old aunt passed away.  She had purchased the machine brand new in 1959 and kept it well maintained and loved.  While her health was good, she continued to type on it daily.  But it sat, sadly, in her closet the last 10 years of her life.

23-11-2020 14:16:15  #10

I think it is safe to say you have improved the Futura design. The dots are nice and functional. When bored, you can turn this in an conversion kit and produce a small batch of it

Board footera