You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2020 11:13:40  #21

Re: Royal Futura 800 - Hack/Modification

Guth, that is humorous.  Wonder how Royal would feel my referencing an Olivetti part number ?

28-11-2022 00:07:55  #22

This is an excellent idea. I think I'll do this to one of my Futuras. I'm tired of having to move the carriage and open the cover every time I want to change colors. 

​Any further suggestions that you'd have now that you've had a couple years using this?

28-11-2022 08:44:55  #23

Hi Rob,

The hack is doing well on both of my machines.  And since I do not use "stencil"...leaving that out of the hack was a non-issue.  It allowed for the extension lever to have a shorter trave-distance as well.

I drilled one ribbon color selector lever in-place on the machine...which was a bit of a pain.  On the 2nd. machine, I removed that mechanism so I could place it in my small bench vise and drill it there.  One screw, a spring, and the selector mechanism came out.  Take a photo of it before you remove it so it is easier to put back into place.

IIRC...I had to file the top of the rectangular cut-out a bit on both machines...to accommodate the thickness of the donor lever so it would not put too much pressure on the "Magic Column Set" push button.  That button was, initially, not returning to its rest position when pushed.  A jeweler's file took care of that.

Color-dots I got at Wal-Mart in their Crafts & Sewing section.

Board footera