You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-11-2020 12:41:45  #1

Looking for Recommendations

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a recommendation on what typewriter to buy as a gift for my brother. He's totally new to typewriting, but enjoys writing and I imagine would be looking for a machine which is pretty robust. I'd prefer it to be an electric typewriter for ease of typing.
Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

23-11-2020 12:57:37  #2

Re: Looking for Recommendations

Hi Pat-R

That's a very interesting question, I think you will get many different recommendations based on various member's personal experience. Posting your location will be very helpful as there may be a forum member in your area who has a suitable electric typewriter they would be willing to supply. Hope this gives you a starting point,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

23-11-2020 13:23:55  #3

Hi Sky, I appreciate the response. I'm located in South Eastern Michigan, USA.

23-11-2020 15:22:21  #4

Patr2016, I would suggest going about this from the opposite direction. Instead of asking what would be best - and getting a dozen different answers - I would suggest finding out what is actually available in your immediate area. We could help you narrow down suitable machines from what you have to choose from rather than trying to hunt down a specific model that you may, or may not be able to find. 

Buying locally in person, which allows you the opportunity to confirm that the typewriter is functioning correctly, is the far better option than finding one online and risking the inherent shipping risks and ending up with an example that isn't as advertised.

Places you should be able to find typewriters in your area would include Craigslist, e-Bay, Goodwill (or similar) and antique stores.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-11-2020 17:42:11  #5

I'd add to the recommendations to keep an open mind regarding manual typewriters. Many of them are the very definition of robust and when they are in proper working order are just as easy as an electric machine. Add to that the fact that manual ribbons can be easier to source than proprietary ribbon cartridges.

Phil Forrest

23-11-2020 22:04:35  #6

Pardon my putting my 2 cents worth in.  There are of course electromechanical typewriters. I do have one which I do not use often, because manuals are definitely my fave. They are an option worth mentioning, although it s a bit odd having a motor running.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

24-11-2020 12:33:40  #7

Olympia SM7 if wanting a carriage-shifting machine.

Olympia SM9 if wanting a segment-shifting machine.

Either can be found for a decent price and usually in excellent working condition.

Board footera