You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-6-2014 02:29:06  #1

Another machine destroyed in the post

The long-awaited small-carriage SG1 with full international keyboard arrived yesterday.

Seriously, what the **** do they do to parcels in the post!  This massively built monster had been hit so hard that the actual steel chassis was 1/2 inch out of alignment, and there was not a plastic knob in one piece.  The paper rest was litterally in more than 50 parts - beyond gluing back together.  the entire carriage was bent down into the guts of the machine, and it is surely beyond repair.  Apart from the loss to me (and my bank account, consering the postage half way round the world) this was an unusual keyboard on an unusually clean and well-kept machine that should still have been working a hundred years from now.

Surprise, surprise, the postal services of each country (automatically) blames the other(s) for the damage, and no responsibility will be taken by any of them.

Question:
Can anyone suggest how the hell typewriters can ever be sent internationally without the likelyhood of this level of damage?

Sincerely,
beak.

05-6-2014 08:13:19  #2

Re: Another machine destroyed in the post

Oh, that's sad; I'm so sorry. Such a disappointment. I'm always looking at typewriters on eBay and not buying them for just this reason. 

It won't help now, of course, but if you'd like to see packing done right, here is the description of the packing for shipping a gigantic Olivetti-Underwood Editor 2 from the US to Australia. 
http://brumtypia.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-1-2014-you-we-did-it-shipping-john.html

05-6-2014 13:01:29  #3

That's terrible news Beak. I'd love to see photos if you don't mind because the level of destruction you described is incredible. I also just received an eBay typewriter, a portable that was shipped in its case with nothing more than two layers of bubble wrap around it! I expected the worst, but luckily the only damage was the machine's case was whacked out of aligmnet, something that I've already fixed.

However, I've also received machines in the past that were nearly completely destroyed during shipment. Here for example is the horror I faced when I opened the case of a Torpedo I bought on eBay. The story is even more frustrating when you add in the seller's account of what happened. She claimed that her husband had really packed it well, but when she took it to the post office its weight was in a higher cost category than she had quoted me, so she took out enough packing material to bring the weight back down. In the end she shipped it with nothing but a few pieces of newspaper and some flat plastic bags to protect it. Even the machine's travel case had holes blown through it from the carriage that was bouncing around inside of it after it had been ripped right off of the machine.

The bottom line is that you have to blame the seller. If a machine is properly packed - and labelled with dozens of FRAGILE stickers - it should arrive in good condition. I sometimes warn sellers to pack the machine well, and have provided links to packaging tips online, but a lot of the advice out there isn't very good. I'll eventually put together a comprehensive photo set here for packing a typewriter that can be understood internationally, and by typewriter-ignorant sellers.  

In your case you need to contact the eBay seller and get your money back. Good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-6-2014 18:18:20  #4

A site-link that has your packing tips (pictures / international) would be a great boon to all of us.  I hope you get round to it before long.

There was a book we used to use, called 'Theatre Words' which had pages and pages of simple illustrations of all the stage and film objects and equipment commonly used, and their names (in twenty different languages) printed next to them.  So very useful.  Perhaps we could start one here, being an international site, to at least name the parts of a typewriter in similar manner?  I'm happy to do the Photoshop / illustration work, if others can contribute the names of some parts from their own native language.

Buying internationally puts so many limits on the buyer; you often have to talk to someone about technical things in a language that is not native to one of you, for a start.  And people can be so unhelpful; just had someone who knew that German was not my first language, and who apparently had no English, and wrote his German to me in one long string of words without any punctuation whatever.  Not even full stops to divide the sentences, continuing to do this even after I asked him not to.  I guess I should have pulled out at that point, but I wanted that particular machine enough to persevere.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-6-2014 05:07:48  #5

It's awful when you get a smashed up machine in the post
My eBay buying days for typewriters are basically over unless I see something special in my immediate area which I can view first and collect myself.  Or from people who know about typewriters. And I look in charity shops all the time, just in case
I've had typewriters arrive in all sorts of packaging and be fine, though. One was in a jiffy bag (?!)  and only had a slight dent to the case. Another, which was for a friend, arrived loose in a box with some brown paper strewn in, perhaps as decoration? But the typewriter was in excellent health. Weird. Admittedly these were all shipped within the UK so didn't have to suffer the rigours of international typewriter travel. It's strange sometimes how people (who don't know anything about them) decide to package typewriters. My last, a Corona Sterling arrived really well packed on the outside of the case, but was left rattling about inside, with the carriage unlocked/unsecured so had some damage I had to ask for help in getting fixed. Waiting with baited breath and crossed fingers for this one, it's my last of the season, so to speak.

06-6-2014 14:29:47  #6

malole wrote:

Or from people who know about typewriters.  

That's a good point. The flipside of these eBay horror stories are sellers who have shipped many typewriters in the past and know what they're doing. I've received a couple of machines that were so well prepared that I was more impressed by how it was packaged for shipment than I was over the machine itself. One was packed so well you could have fired it out of a cannon and not risked any damage to the typewriter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-6-2014 16:08:07  #7

As a matter of interest, how many portable typewriters have you received upside-down in their carry cases ?  I find this happens surprisingly often from people who obviously know nothing about typewriters !

06-6-2014 16:35:35  #8

thetypewriterman wrote:

As a matter of interest, how many portable typewriters have you received upside-down in their carry cases ? I find this happens surprisingly often from people who obviously know nothing about typewriters !

Quite a few! People are used to the lids of boxes being smaller than the carrying part of the box and they don't seem to notice all that sharp clamping hardware in the "lid". OTOH, it doesn't help when some typewriters, like Facit portables, really do fit into the bigger part and have the smaller lid on top. How many of us have opened a Facit upside down?

06-6-2014 21:29:29  #9

And on we go...
Just talking to seller about another unusual SG1, this time in America.  Asked them to remove and pack carriage separately, explaining how simple this was to do, and they replied that this was impossible since they can only sell 'working machines', and if they take the carriage off it is no longer working (!)

Imagine the state of this  monster typer when it arrives at its destination with the carriage attached - or what's left of it.  Actually, don't; it's too horrible to think about.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-6-2014 23:22:29  #10

beak wrote:

Just talking to seller about another unusual SG1, this time in America.

What's unusual about it?

Board footera