You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-3-2015 20:14:29  #21

Re: Another machine destroyed in the post

I am so afraid to buy online now... with all of these horror stories about bent frames, cracked keyboards, and disconnected carriages, how can I trust anyone who isn't a collector? Though I must say, I have been very lucky when it comes to ebay. I am beyond thankful and greatful that my ebay experiences have been ok. None of my machines have been damaged too much. Even my 1929 Royal Portable, which came without the case (I paid too much for it by the way... I'm such a big sucker for colour...) arrived in perfect condition. When my Noiseless came, it was in its case, no bubble wrap, no nothin to protect it from the inside, and just packing peanuts and used plastic bottles to protect it. But it came out unscathed. Amazing. So I suppose, how does a typewriter become dismembered during shipping even if it's in its case? Isn't the case supposed to protect it? (These stories about complete and utter destruction during shipping is why I don't get an SG1 from ebay... How can I trust others to pack such a big typewriter? Even without a case? The answer is I don't. And it's annoying because I want the SG1 more than anything).

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

18-3-2015 20:40:48  #22

Greetings All

When you receive a broken typewriter from a eBay seller, lodge a complaint against the seller using the
"I received an item that wasn't as described"
option, and submit photographs of your damaged unit. Inform the seller that if things are not rectified, you will open a case against him or her with eBay. This way, you put the onus on the seller to make things right.
You bought an intact working machine, and received a broken piece of junk. It's up to the seller to ensure the unit is packaged securely for shipping. Personally, I feel that eBay should add a fifth feedback rating for;
"How well was the item packaged?"
I'm sure this would smarten up a whole lot of sellers. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-3-2015 08:53:35  #23

Yes, as I wrote on some thread or other last night, I've just bought aSmith-Corona Silent-Super (with a nonworking 5 key) even though it needed shipping, because it is literally the first one I've ever seen for sale in this country. I immediately wrote to the seller with a link to a website about packing; and wrote a heartfelt plea about all my broken typewriters and how I *really* don't want this one to be ruined; and this morning I got a notice that it has been despatched, but there is no reply from the seller as to whether or not they even read my message.

So, now I am waiting. But Skywatcher, yes I am in the mood to play it just like that if it arrives broken. I've got a lovely SM5 that I'm aobut to put out by the bins because it is just not working - the carriage - & frankly I don't have any more time to invest in it. 

On the other hand, by limiting my searches to a radius near me I've had the chance to go to little cirners I didn't know well, and to meet some really nice people!

As for the seller of the Silent-Super, at the very least I'll be giving a low mark for communications.... 

21-3-2015 12:42:25  #24

So sorry to hear that this happened to you! Luckily, the one machine that I had shipped (My SG1) survived the post just fine. It is so sad to have to worry about wether or not machines will make it through the mail, because I have a real hard time trying to find decent machines locally.

24-3-2015 06:20:23  #25

The Silent-Super that was marked 'dispatched' on the 19th has not yet even reached my local hub, according to the tracking; it has been loaded onto and unloaded out of three vehicles already, to say nothing of being 'sorted' - which I tihnk means 'tossed' - in the various 'hubs'. 

Tomorrow morning I am going to trek from NE to SW London with a wheelie suitcase and some towels, to pick up a beautiful 1962 two-tone Adler Special rather than entrust it to the shippers... 

EDITING IN: Just have to say that although the tracking only said it was 'in a van for the Enfield hub', it has arrived today! and I was in! And it was reasonably well packed and it works! In fact, it is the snappiest typewriter I have so far hasd the pleasure of using with the possible exception of my SM3. Massive success. 

Last edited by KatLondon (24-3-2015 09:04:17)

24-3-2015 12:58:18  #26

Now you know why the Smith-Corona Super-5 models make most collectors' lists for top ten portables.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2015 11:13:35  #27

skywatcher wrote:

Greetings All

When you receive a broken typewriter from a eBay seller, lodge a complaint against the seller using the

This is another reason for me to be reluctant to sell on ebay. How can the seller be held responsible for damage caused by the shipper? No matter how good the packing job, typewriters are damaged by shipping companies all the time.

Many honest ebay sellers have been driven away because of ebay protections for the BUYER but hardly none for the seller. People complain all the time about the "bad" ebay sellers, and it's because many good ones have left.

My advice is to not be cheap. Sellers sometimes under-quote the shipping cost, forgetting that the proper shipping materials increases the weight. Unrealistically low shipping prices are a red flag to me. Pay the seller for the extra shipping materials and time to do the job right. Heavy boxes, foam, peanuts, bags, tape, etc are not free. Neither is the seller's time. It usually takes me 2 to 3 hours to pack a typewriter. Paying the shippng company fee only doesn't cover the shipping expenses. Pay for insurance because you very likely might need it. Only buy from sellers who have a history of shipping typewriters undamaged, not some antique dealer who bought their first typewriter at an estate sale.

Earlier in this thread, someone posted an example about how to pack a typewriter correctly to ship overseas:
http://brumtypia.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-1-2014-you-we-did-it-shipping-john.html

Notice the time and materials involved. The plywood, screws, straps, etc and time needed were impressive. Surely you wouldn't think the seller should do something like this for free.

Last edited by ProfessorC30 (25-3-2015 11:34:56)

Clark

25-3-2015 16:15:30  #28

ProfessorC30 wrote:

skywatcher wrote:

Greetings All

This is another reason for me to be reluctant to sell on ebay. How can the seller be held responsible for damage caused by the shipper? No matter how good the packing job, typewriters are damaged by shipping companies all the time.

Many honest ebay sellers have been driven away because of ebay protections for the BUYER but hardly none for the seller. People complain all the time about the "bad" ebay sellers, and it's because many good ones have left.

My advice is to not be cheap. Sellers sometimes under-quote the shipping cost, forgetting that the proper shipping materials increases the weight. Unrealistically low shipping prices are a red flag to me. Pay the seller for the extra shipping materials and time to do the job right. Heavy boxes, foam, peanuts, bags, tape, etc are not free. Neither is the seller's time. It usually takes me 2 to 3 hours to pack a typewriter. Paying the shippng company fee only doesn't cover the shipping expenses. Pay for insurance because you very likely might need it. Only buy from sellers who have a history of shipping typewriters undamaged, not some antique dealer who bought their first typewriter at an estate sale.

Earlier in this thread, someone posted an example about how to pack a typewriter correctly to ship overseas:
http://brumtypia.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-1-2014-you-we-did-it-shipping-john.html

Notice the time and materials involved. The plywood, screws, straps, etc and time needed were impressive. Surely you wouldn't think the seller should do something like this for free.

What you said about shipment is very true for standard typewriters, but when shipping a portable (especially a smaller one!) it is a little unrealistic to make a crate and fill it with bags of packing material. Most portables don't weigh more than 20 pounds, but the typewriter being packed in the link looks like it weighed over 50 -- AND it was being shipped overseas! 

I don't mean to come off as rude, but it is very hard to tell the tone of a message without seeing a persons face and hearing the tone of their voice :-)

27-3-2015 11:19:33  #29

What you said about shipment is very true for standard typewriters, but when shipping a portable (especially a smaller one!) it is a little unrealistic to make a crate and fill it with bags of packing material. Most portables don't weigh more than 20 pounds, but the typewriter being packed in the link looks like it weighed over 50 -- AND it was being shipped overseas! 

I don't mean to come off as rude, but it is very hard to tell the tone of a message without seeing a persons face and hearing the tone of their voice :-)

Many of the horror stories that have been posted here and on other blogs deal with international shipping, although even shipping inside one's own country can be risky.  Although portables are lighter, they still need special attention and careful packing for shipment (look at Beak's and Uwe's posts at the beginning of this thread for some examples of poor packing). Good boxes, bubble wrap, other shipping supplies and time to do a good job should always be calculated into the shipping cost that a buyer pays.

Again, my point is you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited by ProfessorC30 (27-3-2015 11:25:02)

Clark

27-3-2015 20:34:21  #30

Found this page from a seller describing how he packs typewriters.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/The-Treasure-Cellar/Typewriter-Packing-Example.html

Any thouhgts?

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera