You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-5-2015 20:06:31  #41

Re: Another machine destroyed in the post

KatLondon wrote:

There was simply no way they could have envisaged the shipping scenaris we have now, where untrained people are packaging machines and underpaid others are flinging them around the way they do, in the quantities they do. I think Typewriter Justice talks good sense. He also recommends this page on packing.

Hi Everyone,

Only joined yesterday & already this site coming in handy.  Some good stuff here.

Just wanted to thank "Kat" for link I included to seller.

This topic has me paranoid now!  Also followed "Beak's" suggestion to bill me for any additional costs.

Hopefully it will get here in one piece!

BTW:  Is there an advanced or 'preview' mode here?  If there is one-- not showing up in FF.

thanks 

27-5-2015 20:26:28  #42

There is a preview mode, but I'm not seeing it now,  maybe it shows up when you include an image, or when you edit? Testing...

It shows up when you edit a post. I see it a lot, because my iPad has a mind of its own.  It's always taking words I spell correctly and changing them to other words. I swear, it's true,

Last edited by Spazmelda (27-5-2015 20:27:41)

28-5-2015 20:30:09  #43

Spazmelda wrote:

There is a preview mode, but I'm not seeing it now, maybe it shows up when you include an image, or when you edit? Testing...

It shows up when you edit a post. I see it a lot, because my iPad has a mind of its own. It's always taking words I spell correctly and changing them to other words. I swear, it's true,

*Make* me edit.  Maybe that's a good thing.  "Their are so many words spell check & preview might not catch."

Anyway, seller thanked me for link and assured me that she'd follow any precautions she wasn't already taking.

Hopefully it will get here safely.

Another OT question-- last one I swear.

Correct me if mistaken.  I have to post 3 times before photo privilages.  Images should be 800px max. 

28-5-2015 23:41:40  #44

I have two machines on the way.,  I don't recall seeing this thread, so am hoping for the best after reading this thread.   One is in a case and the other is not.  Eek!!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

29-5-2015 04:56:10  #45

I remember buying a Royal Arrow off of ebay for $60 free shipping.....

.....and it came in perfect shape  I think the case was misaligned by a few millimeters because it wasnt closing right. The seller had no packing material, they found a box the SAME EXACT SIZE as the typewriter case. It was so tight i had to cut open the box. But hey! Free shipping!

Last edited by TypewriterGuy (29-5-2015 04:57:07)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

01-6-2015 18:12:06  #46

Well, as an update mine got here safe & sound.  Rather than clutter things up, a picture (if anyone interested) is at new members topic.

This lady really took those packing instructions to heart!  She used spray foam or something into part of box and had things tied down like machine was going aboard a ship headed towards North Sea.  Doubled boxed too.  That was some work unpacking my little treasure, but well worth it!  Nothing bent & glass panels survived!

Thanks again & enjoy week.

Brian

Last edited by BrianE (01-6-2015 18:13:34)

01-6-2015 18:52:52  #47

Sadly, the Royal Arrow arrived bent. It was not in a case and was in a single box with green bubble wrap wrapped around it.  I took some pics as I unpacked it.  I might take to a local typewriter shop.  They probably won't be able to salvage it.   The QDL I bought needs a screw and a screw tightened on the paper bail.

01-6-2015 19:30:58  #48

That's too bad Diane. Hopefully the seller will refund your money.

01-6-2015 19:54:24  #49

I took pictures of it and will send those to him.

02-6-2015 01:35:07  #50

OH NOOO, how depressing. Good that you took pictures - if the seller resists in any way then take it to eBay. Beak had a great line of reasoning, which is that due to their negligence the item is not in the condition described. 

I had a seller get arsey with me, tell me his packing had been fine (no it had not), and say I should take it u
p with the courier - but it was Christmas week and I literally couldn't be bothered; I thought it was worth the £25 I'd paid to avoid the hassle & unpleasantness. I'm still stuck with this broken SM5 (in its broken case) and it annoys me every time I see it.

Fingers crossed for you!

Board footera