You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-6-2015 10:56:46  #61

Re: Another machine destroyed in the post

Also, with some sellers, the person you email is not the person who does the packing.

03-6-2015 13:23:23  #62

I agree with Uwe.  I read all the feedback on an Ebay seller and their ratings, anthing below 100% I won't consider buying from that seller.  There is negative feedback that I've read that I wouldn't hold against the seller.  But if you have had a conversation with that seller and they agreed to pack the typewriter correctly, and then they don't, why would anyone purchase a typewriter on Ebay?  I still watch the listing, but very leary of purchasing one just because of the shipping and handling.

You can never have too many typewriters.

21-6-2015 09:04:09  #63

Where are those shipping instructions and can they be pinned to a forum here?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

21-6-2015 13:05:59  #64

I have a friend who's an artist and conservator, and we were talking about this the other day. She's had this problem with other objects and got the point immediately! And made the good point that most people just don't have that much imagination - unless they have experienced the thing, they think it probably won't happen. Also, having never seen one correctly packed, in all likelihood they actually imagine that what they have done is what you've agreed. 

21-6-2015 17:21:07  #65

This rings true!

Sincerely,
beak.

24-6-2015 00:25:40  #66

There really should be a little video showing how the USPS handles packages. If people knew what packages went through on the way to their destination, I can guarantee they would be sent with better packaging. Any mail carrier's first priority is speed, and "gentle handling" isn't even the second or third most important factor they consider. 

I use a simple rule when I package items sold online: If I'm not fairly certain the contents of a box would survive a 10ft. drop, then I haven't packed it well enough. This isn't really much of an exaggeration... many times the processing centers (aka "General Mail Facility" or GMF for short) have our packages up at a pretty high elevation, throwing them around through different conveyors and sorting machines, onto airplanes, trucks, etc.

If you use a heavy duty box (at least 2-ply) with at LEAST about 4-6 inches of foam peanuts as padding, and several layers of bubble wrap securely around the typewriter, odds are pretty good the typewriter will survive intact  and OK (assuming the machine weighs less than about 20 pounds). These typewriters ARE durable and tough machines... they are just heavy, which tends to cause them to be their own worst enemy inside a poorly padded or undersized box. They'll basically beat themselves to death.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

06-7-2015 07:52:41  #67

Just bought a smith premier 4 for parts, lets hope it comes in one peice. No tracking number and its economy shipping...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-7-2015 18:13:19  #68

TypewriterGuy wrote:

We dont need to save typewriters from key choppers.. we need to save them from post!

Yes,very worrisome and I need to get with the times.  Seller at E-bay Germany assured me she knows how to pack.  All she sells is typewriters.  Sending it DHL.  Cool!  

DHL used to be the company for international.  Now I read that in 2009 they abandoned American market and just hand things off to USPS.

Typewriter survived the Cold War from back in 1952.  Be a shame if PO botches it.

Praying to collecting and now "postal" gods that be.  : / 

08-7-2015 19:16:45  #69

All the machines I've had from Germany came via DHL, but I believe they are handed over to Australiapost when in OZ (need to check that).
Australiapost have told me that have no service whatever for fragile goods, and that all packages will at some point suffer a drop of at least 1metre, possibly more (3 to 4 feet) - it's something to do with their sorting machinery.  This is, frankly, ridiculous.

Last edited by beak (09-7-2015 10:06:52)

Sincerely,
beak.

08-7-2015 19:27:35  #70

Just another thought - why not send your seller a link to this very thread!
Might make them see the light?

OH! - and following a suggestion above, do send this link to your seller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlUJmT2h3-4

Last edited by beak (08-7-2015 19:44:02)

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera