You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-12-2020 06:33:19  #1

Groma Gromina 1952 typing experience

Hello,

I recently bought a Groma Gromina that is ultra ultra flat  with reddish keytops and green body  
I was so eager to have it and type. Unfortunatelly typing experience was not so good on it. I need to hit the keytops really hard to move them up till the platen. And most of the time they do not turn back to rest position. 

I gave a really nice cleaning, there is no any dirt at all, but still I need to push the keys hard, and typebars do not turn bac to their rest position sometimes. If anyone has Groma Gromina could tell me if this is how Gromina experience? Or  Is there anything I could adjust/try  to make better?

Finally really disappointing typing experience... Very nice looking typewriter,  I wish I could enjoy typing with it.

Thank you

04-12-2020 06:53:38  #2

Re: Groma Gromina 1952 typing experience

Hi Again, just wanted to add, escapement mechanism and carriage works very well. I checked typebar springs and they also seem OK... 
Also need to add that, some keys are not giving any problem but some are always causing problem... such as "Y"

04-12-2020 10:33:29  #3

Hi Emre,
having read your post and being unfamiliar with your machine, it seems you need to do a careful clean and lube.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

04-12-2020 12:45:00  #4

Although not a stellar typer - most ultra-portables lack the type feel of a larger portable or standard - what you described is not indicative of the Gromina. It's been years since I used my '51 Gromina, but my lasting impression was that it has a wooden type action; regardless of personal impressions, it should work as you would expect any portable should.

Aside from regular maintenance, if I recall correctly there's a bottom cover on the machine that has an opening for a part of the machine's mechanism. Make sure that there's adequate clearance below this opening; missing or flattened feet would cause an issue with reduced clearance. If that's not the issue then you'll have to open up the typer and investigate further, but please do so in the Repairs and Maintenance sub-forum.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-12-2020 12:54:22  #5

Hello Uwe and Zoom,
Thank you for reacting to my post.
Sorry for not posting this o maintenance/repair subform. Actually I didn’t start to write here by intending to ask for some advise when I finish and click on send, I realized my post was more for repair/maintenance

However, I disovered feets are really changing the type experience. Rear ones bigger and higher, even the front ones have difference, left (to me) feet is shorter.

Now it is better but still using it in not so pleasure

Thank you guys.

04-12-2020 18:49:33  #6

Under the type-key levers, there is a metal, vertical "comb" with narrow slots through which the levers travel.  I have solved slow-returnng key-tops on some of my machines by carefully opening up the required slot to make it just a tad wider.  I use a long narrow flat blade screwdriver to make the adjustment.  Go slow because if you open one slot too much, the adjacent slot will get tighter and then the problem moves to the adjacent type-key.

05-12-2020 07:09:16  #7

That is a good point, the comb can have a negative impact on the touch.

By thoroughly cleaning the slots and the levers, and lubing them frugal with sewing machine oil I improved the touch of many Olympia SFs, my Adler Junior and a few Triumph Norms. The touch became slightly lighter and much more even.

05-12-2020 08:29:02  #8

Thank you guys @pete E. and @Laurenz van Gaalen.
I willcheck the comb and try to adjust from there.

Hope it gets bettter

Board footera