You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-12-2020 12:29:05  #1

Olympia SG3 right-hand margin

Hello all,

The keyboard of my SG3 is not locked after reaching the right-hand margin. This has been always the case, somehow I never noticed it. The bell works fine.

I looked carefully to the mechanism (without opening up the carriage) and everything looks to be in order. I am under the impression that the margin stop is designed to trigger the bell, but not to lock the keyboard.
Does anyone know more about this?

I have the semi-wide carriage with paper injector, I believe with a 33 cm platen.

Thanks,
Lau

10-12-2020 13:46:58  #2

Re: Olympia SG3 right-hand margin

On an SG1 and an SG3 here, the right margin stop locks the printing keys as expected at x characters after the bell but not the spacebar nor tab, which both ring the bell and then blow right past the margin stop. Additionally, when the End-Of-Line lock stops the printing keys, I can continue spacing past the margin and then after about three spaces on the SG1 and about eight on the SG3 the printing keys are again active. Never did understand the utility of this but since it's a German design there must be some reason for it.  :-) Thinking about it, the only real need is to lock out the printing keys.

For a while I thought there was a defect in the right margin of SG3s until i saw the pattern in more examples.

10-12-2020 14:03:18  #3

Thank you Michael for your interesting and helpful post. I know for sure I have tested the end-of-line lock with the spacebar, but I am not sure I tested it with the printing keys. I will check tomorrow and let you know.

11-12-2020 07:14:54  #4

I've checked my SG3, it behaves like yours. Space and tab work after reaching the end of line, printing keys are locked. Mystery solved, thanks.

20-12-2020 16:20:42  #5

Update: I just discovered something interesting. After reaching the margin the printing keys are locked as explained by Michael. However, after pressing the spacebar for three times, the printing keys can be used again. My guess is that this is by design, it adds the possibility to type outside the margin without using the margin release key. This is useful when working with margin notes.

20-12-2020 18:01:37  #6

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

Update: I just discovered something interesting. After reaching the margin the printing keys are locked as explained by Michael. However, after pressing the spacebar for three times, the printing keys can be used again. My guess is that this is by design, it adds the possibility to type outside the margin without using the margin release key. This is useful when working with margin notes.

Yes, I did mention that action in my post of Dec. 10 but I did not think of the use case of margin notes. Thanks. A few more decades of this crowdsourcing and we'll have typewriters figured out.

22-12-2020 05:52:47  #7

Hm, not much of a 'discovery', you indeed described the issue in your post. I forgot about it, and 'rediscovered' the feature when I was using my SG3 again...

Board footera