You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-12-2020 16:43:42  #11

Re: 'New' Hema 44K (Olivetti) 1980

Uwe wrote:

Booksniffer wrote:

... although what I am really after now is some affordable airmail / onionskin type paper. ...

For what it's worth, considering my local office supply store has both regular onion skin and 'airmail' onion skin paper on the shelf, I'm sure it will be easy for you to find. I have bought the regular stuff in the past for typing and it works quite well (just make sure you use a backing sheet or two - always use a backing sheet).

You might want to grab some before it is gone!

I used to be able to buy all sorts of nice writing paper in office supply stores here (I live near Amsterdam, plenty of options), but somehow over the past decade or so, they have shifted to things like plastic pen cases covered in glitter, ball point pens with pictures of unicorns or dinosaurs on them, etc.

A lot of things are now available online, like bottled fountain pen ink, but for some reason interesting writing paper seems to have not made the shift.

I used to travel with a pad of airmail, it was around everywhere - but not anymore.

All I can find are offerings for several euros a sheet, intended for scrapbooking or journaling - but that sort of defeats the purpose if you're trying to save money on stamps 

23-12-2020 16:52:38  #12

Not to mention, all the shelf space dedicated to 10.000 different iterations of those blasted Moleskine notebooks.... the cover and the form factor of the originals are nice, but the paper in them has gone from bad to horrendous!

24-12-2020 11:06:39  #13

Booksniffer wrote:

... those blasted Moleskine notebooks.... the cover and the form factor of the originals are nice, but the paper in them has gone from bad to horrendous!

Ha! Couldn't agree more. I used to exclusively use Moleskine for work but then discovered Leuchtturm 1917and couldn't be happier.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-12-2020 22:03:44  #14

Hi Booksniffer

Enjoyed reading this thread. One question for you: How does the Dutch Postal system stage letter rates? Here in Canada, anything up to an including 30 grams goes for the same price. The next step up is 31 to 50 grams, then 51 to 100 grams for anything letter sized. 5 sheets of 8½" x 11" (21.6 x 28 cm)  75 g/m² in a standard #10 (10.4 x 24.1 cm) envelope comes in at 27 grams. Even with postage stamp, return address label and a couple of fun stickers still comes in just under 30 grams.

Proper onion skin 36 g/m² and an airmail envelop can afford you up to 12 pages in one envelope for 29 grams, I've been known to type 10 pages when typing to a typewriter pen-pal in Eindhoven, so if you type long letters, then airmail paper does have its advantages. The disadvantages of airmail paper is its fragility and how easily it punches through unless you use a sturdy backing sheet or have an as-new platen, even then, a backing sheet is strongly recommended. Onion skin paper does not feed through scanners and printers, it gets stuck in the feed rollers. Flat bed scanning seems to be the only way to scan letters typed on onion skin paper.

However, if you really want to go old-school, place a sheet of carbon paper between the airmail typing paper and the backing paper and you'll have a carbon copy of each page as you type. Just remember to put a fresh backing sheet in for each new page of typing paper. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

25-12-2020 12:15:52  #15

I just double checked, and the office store in my area does offer two sizes of onion skin. For the sake of comparison, their dimensions and cost are below for our Dutch friends. I would offer to pick it up and ship it to you, but I'm not sure it would be make sense once you add the postage costs. There are other paper retailers here that carry onion skin, but I don't know if their prices would be any better.

A letter-sized onion skin paper pad, which has 36 sheets (21.6 x 27.9 cm or 8.5 x 11 in.) is $7.29 (€4.64) or $0.2025 (€0.13) per page. 

Three "airmail onion skin paper pads," which totals 66 pages (15.24 x 22.86 cm or 6 x 9 in.) is $20 (€12.74) or $0.303 (€0.19) per page. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-12-2020 20:15:50  #16

Greetings Once Again

The closest I've found to true onion skin paper is from The Paper Mill Store down in the USA. The site indicates free shipping to Canada on orders over a certain value. Might this be worth looking into for re-distribution in smaller quantities to forum member who might be interested? Just a thought,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-12-2020 09:10:36  #17

Uwe wrote:

I just double checked, and the office store in my area does offer two sizes of onion skin. For the sake of comparison, their dimensions and cost are below for our Dutch friends. I would offer to pick it up and ship it to you, but I'm not sure it would be make sense once you add the postage costs. There are other paper retailers here that carry onion skin, but I don't know if their prices would be any better.

A letter-sized onion skin paper pad, which has 36 sheets (21.6 x 27.9 cm or 8.5 x 11 in.) is $7.29 (€4.64) or $0.2025 (€0.13) per page. 

Three "airmail onion skin paper pads," which totals 66 pages (15.24 x 22.86 cm or 6 x 9 in.) is $20 (€12.74) or $0.303 (€0.19) per page. 

Uwe, that is so kind of you!
Especially the first option would be very interesting.... And three of those pads would still be safely under the import tax limit.

But yes, shipp8ng costs might raise the price too much.
Perhaps I could interest you in a nice fountain pen?

Do you happen to know the brand name, and exact product name / number?
I find it difficult to believe it is not available in Europe at all, perhaps I can track down a distributor somehow.

26-12-2020 09:22:41  #18

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Booksniffer

Enjoyed reading this thread. One question for you: How does the Dutch Postal system stage letter rates? Here in Canada, anything up to an including 30 grams goes for the same price. The next step up is 31 to 50 grams, then 51 to 100 grams for anything letter sized. 5 sheets of 8½" x 11" (21.6 x 28 cm)  75 g/m² in a standard #10 (10.4 x 24.1 cm) envelope comes in at 27 grams. Even with postage stamp, return address label and a couple of fun stickers still comes in just under 30 grams.

Proper onion skin 36 g/m² and an airmail envelop can afford you up to 12 pages in one envelope for 29 grams, I've been known to type 10 pages when typing to a typewriter pen-pal in Eindhoven, so if you type long letters, then airmail paper does have its advantages. The disadvantages of airmail paper is its fragility and how easily it punches through unless you use a sturdy backing sheet or have an as-new platen, even then, a backing sheet is strongly recommended. Onion skin paper does not feed through scanners and printers, it gets stuck in the feed rollers. Flat bed scanning seems to be the only way to scan letters typed on onion skin paper.

However, if you really want to go old-school, place a sheet of carbon paper between the airmail typing paper and the backing paper and you'll have a carbon copy of each page as you type. Just remember to put a fresh backing sheet in for each new page of typing paper. All the best,

Sky

Alas, the cheapest price range here is 0 - 20 gr; so a bit less wriggle room!

I do actually own a flatbed scanner (one of my other revolving hobbies is shooting on expired medium format film), but since my computer has been on the blink for ages, it's not functional at the moment - much like my printer. ;)

But who needs a printer when you have a typewriter, right?

Anyway, I'm not too worried about saving copies of what I write, especially in digital format - but I have ordered some carbon paper to play around with.

Yes, backing paper always!!
Right now I'm using some nice sturdy paper from a 2012 insurance terms book; if I remember to put them the right way (that is, the wrong way) up, the page titles work as a nice early warning system for reaching the bottom of the page.

26-12-2020 09:25:41  #19

skywatcher wrote:

Greetings Once Again

The closest I've found to true onion skin paper is from The Paper Mill Store down in the USA. The site indicates free shipping to Canada on orders over a certain value. Might this be worth looking into for re-distribution in smaller quantities to forum member who might be interested? Just a thought,

Sky

Terrific idea!

We could set up an airbridge for airmail paper....

26-12-2020 09:28:28  #20

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

Booksniffer wrote:

although what I am really after now is some affordable airmail / onionskin type paper

Well, that is something I am searching for quite a while now. I have only found 60 gr/m general purpose A4 paper. I suspect Vlieger in Amsterdam may have real airmail/onionskin paper, but I have not been able to visit the store because of the lockdown.

If you find airmail or other very thin paper, please let me know.

Lau

The 60 gsm you found, is that the Clairmail paper?

I have some of that on it's way to me.
Pity that it is bright white; I prefer ivory, or yellow, or bone, or light blue etc.... basically, anything that isn't stark white.

Board footera