You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-12-2020 14:04:33  #21

Re: 'New' Hema 44K (Olivetti) 1980

No, it is PlanoSuperior paper. If the weight is of less importance, I use 80 gr/m BioTop Next. This is a beautiful, off white paper, available in packs (500 sheets) or boxes (2500 sheets). It is common used for books. If you PM your address I can send you samples of both papers.

26-12-2020 14:43:40  #22

Hi Once Again

After doing some research, weighing several different sizes and weights of what were sold as airmail paper over the years using an electronic powder scale as used for reloading rifle cartridges, this is the conclusion I have reached. Breaking each sheet of paper down into milligrams per square centimetre by means of mathematics, then converting back to square metres, I think it would be safe to say that any bond writing paper weighing 50 g/m² or less could safely be called airmail paper.

As there are 2 standards for weighing paper, the ISO system and the ANSI system, I've worked out a simple equation to convert the pound weight of bond or writing paper to g/m². This equation will not work on Text, Index, Bristol or Tag papers as they are all different sizes.

Pound weight of paper x 3.74 = g/m²
g/m² ÷ 3.74 = pound weight of paper

This will give you a close approximation of paper weight equivalents. If I  can find the link again, there is a super useful quick conversion chart for many different paper sizes to g/m². I'll either post the link when I find it, or scan the copy I printed off a few years ago to Flickr and link that. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-12-2020 16:16:45  #23

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Once Again

After doing some research, weighing several different sizes and weights of what were sold as airmail paper over the years using an electronic powder scale as used for reloading rifle cartridges, this is the conclusion I have reached. Breaking each sheet of paper down into milligrams per square centimetre by means of mathematics, then converting back to square metres, I think it would be safe to say that any bond writing paper weighing 50 g/m² or less could safely be called airmail paper.

As there are 2 standards for weighing paper, the ISO system and the ANSI system, I've worked out a simple equation to convert the pound weight of bond or writing paper to g/m². This equation will not work on Text, Index, Bristol or Tag papers as they are all different sizes.

Pound weight of paper x 3.74 = g/m²
g/m² ÷ 3.74 = pound weight of paper

This will give you a close approximation of paper weight equivalents. If I  can find the link again, there is a super useful quick conversion chart for many different paper sizes to g/m². I'll either post the link when I find it, or scan the copy I printed off a few years ago to Flickr and link that. All the best,

Sky

Thank you for going through all that trouble!

Very interesting.

26-12-2020 16:19:31  #24

By the way, should we split this discussion about lightweight paper off into a different thread?
It's not really about the Hema typewriter anymore..

26-12-2020 17:36:33  #25

Hi Once Again

If we wanted to continue this discussion on writing paper vs light weight paper vs airmail paper, I'd say let's take it to the Typewriter Paraphernalia sub forum and discuss it there. There are already some discussion threads on paper in that sub forum. The search feature didn't find any thread titled lightweight paper or airmail paper in the Typewriter Paraphernalia , so those titles are still open for use. All the very best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera