You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2020 22:45:07  #1

Seeking serial number on Adler Tippa portable

I'd really like to date this typewriter. It was my first given to me by my aunt in the late 70s or early 80s. She had it a few years before me (probably from new).

I've looked inside and out. It is not next to the carriage on either the right or left side (I've tried setting margins all the way to the edge). Unfortunately with a solid bottom, I'm not sure it's even visible?

Photos are here:

28-12-2020 01:39:12  #2

Re: Seeking serial number on Adler Tippa portable

Hi mazg,

Some Tippa's have the serial below the keyboard, on the right side, see:
https://typewriterdatabase.com/1973-triumph-tippa.13830.typewriter

Lau

28-12-2020 09:53:29  #3

Amazing! You've solved the mystery. Sure enough it's under the keyboard in the area of the P key.

28-12-2020 12:47:57  #4

Greetings Mazg and welcome to the forum

To own a typewriter that has a family history like that is always something special. Please let us know what year your typewriter is. The next thought you'll have is; Is it older or younger than you? From my perspective, it's fun to find a typewriter that's the same age as me. Take care and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-12-2020 18:18:34  #5

Hi Sky
Its a 1972 (which I had guessed largely because of the style). It is older than me, but only just! My other two typewriters are older than me ;)
Maz

skywatcher wrote:

Greetings Mazg and welcome to the forum

To own a typewriter that has a family history like that is always something special. Please let us know what year your typewriter is. The next thought you'll have is; Is it older or younger than you? From my perspective, it's fun to find a typewriter that's the same age as me. Take care and all the best,

Sky

29-12-2020 14:42:28  #6

Maz, you have a keeper there - take good care of it. Can you confirm where it was made? There should be a sticker on the back of the machine with that information.

The reason I ask is because the location of the serial number might have something to do with where it was manufactured: Dutch-made Tippas could have the number under the keyboard while German-made models located serial numbers under the carriage on the right side.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-12-2020 14:54:30  #7

For what it is worth, I had two Dutch-made Tippa's.
The one with the serial below the carriage was from 1971.
The one with the serial below the keyboard was from 1973.

30-12-2020 15:25:52  #8

Well, I guess that puts that theory to rest. The next logical thing might be it having something to do with its year of manufacture - or perhaps even a change in sub-contracted parts?

I have a pair of '64 Tippas, one from Adler, one from Triumph, and both have the serial number under the carriage.

Using the year theory, it looks like - based on a ridiculously small sample size - that the serial number is under the carriage up to 1971, and under the keyboard from '72 onward.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-12-2020 16:20:20  #9

I was thinking the same, but the question is, why did they change the serial location? The Tippa's I mentioned needed a lot of work, so I spent many hours on them. Because of the different serial locations I checked for other differences. There were none, the machines were identical, even the materials used.

Assuming the serial is applied during production, a change in the tooling/production process might explain the change of the serial location.

Assuming the serial is applied after casting the frame, a new batch might be the explanation.

Olympia Travellers frames were casted in batches large enough to support multiple years of typewriter production. If the same goes for the Tippa's, this mignt explain why a new batch was casted as late as 1972.

31-12-2020 12:24:08  #10

I don't have an answer, but it could also have been something as simple as a decision to locate it to a more visible or convenient location for those in either the manufacturing or supply chain. I should check - when I can get around to it - my other Adler and Triumph models to see if there's a pattern; maybe it was moved to provide model-wide consistency in T-A serial number locations?

Board footera