You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-12-2020 16:29:36  #11

Re: Seeking serial number on Adler Tippa portable

Just two more data points: I have two 1968 Adler Tippa S made in W, Germany by Grundig and both have the serial number stamped into the top of the frame under the right end of the carriage. These frames are non-ferrous castings, probably aluminum, and apparently painted after the serial numbers were stamped, which might be a clue to the manufacturing sequence. Have fun with this info, guys.

01-1-2021 14:18:47  #12

I just checked a few T/A portables, limited to early '60s onward. All of the '60s models had serial numbers under the carriage - some on the left side by the drawband drum, some on the right side - and an early '70s was the same. On a Contessa De Luxe I found the serial number under the keyboard; I don't know the exact year of manufacture for this machine other than it's from the '70s. Again, this is a super-small sample size, but so far the year theory is holding up.

With respect to Michael's observations, some of the T/A machines I looked at had serial numbers engraved on a separate plate that was riveted to the frame, but most match his description.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-1-2021 04:54:09  #13

Some more datapoints: from the 8 Tippa's I have owned, only the 1973 model has the serial in the front. The other 7 were produced between 1961-1971.

03-7-2022 15:11:41  #14

My 1964 Triumph Tippa has it SN's placed under the right side of the carriage.  It is a West Germany made machine.

Board footera