You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-1-2021 03:40:26  #1

Olivetti 80 Lexikon

Hello all,

I have the opportunity to buy a good looking Olivetti 80 Lexikon (early model with glass keytops). Does anyone have experience with these machines? What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Lau

11-1-2021 04:58:57  #2

Re: Olivetti 80 Lexikon

These are beautifully-engineered machines when in good condition and I am sure you would enjoy using it.  The mechanical design was so successful that most of it was carried over into the next model, the Diasphron 82 which was made until 1967.   

12-1-2021 08:10:28  #3

Thank you for your encouraging reply. I have decided to go ahead and buy the machine.

12-1-2021 16:21:22  #4

From a performance perspective, I'm lukewarm about the Lexikon and only use it for small tasks. There are many other standards that I would rather use for longer typing sessions.

Does this mean that I wouldn't recommend buying one? Not at all. It's a must-have model for one reason, a reason that only avid typewriter collectors can appreciate: the Lexikon is a work of art that arguably provides more pleasure to look at than it does to actually use. 

I'm sure you'll love it, Lau. Pictures when it arrives!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2021 16:45:07  #5

Thanks for your post Uwe, I will post pictures here.

How do you compare the Triumph Matura against the Lexikon?
I am still looking for a good one, no luck so far...

BTW Nice SG banner!

12-1-2021 21:00:05  #6

I love the Matura! Actually, it runs a close second to the SG for me. If you're not having any luck trying to find one in Europe, you can imagine how hard they are to find in Canada. I've only ever come across one, which was a 1.5 hour drive to pick up, and it was worth every minute of that drive.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-1-2021 05:19:52  #7

Glad to read you like the Matura. They are not hard to find, but I am looking for a 1950 model, with small carriage and in good cosmetic condition. That narrows down my chances considerably.

The paint on 1950 Triumph machines is not as durable as the crinkle paint used by Olympia or the enamel baked Olivettis. Most of the Matura's I find have a very worned look. And it appears the plastic card holders are a weak spot, it is fairly common one is broken or missing.

But I am not in a rush, and today I have the Lexikon to pick up. I assume that machine keep me busy for a while

14-1-2021 15:27:39  #8

Yesterday was my lucky day. Apart from the Lexikon, I managed to find a good looking Matura. I was able to pick-up both machines in a single drive. The Lexikon was € 20, the Matura € 25. Both machines were not used for decades, and in both cases I bought them from the second owner.

First impression: the Lexikon looks small and elegant next to the Matura, it's a beatiful machine. The Matura is impressive, it types extremely well.

14-1-2021 15:56:22  #9

Fantastic! 

I sometimes wish that I was living in Europe for the selection of wonderful models that are readily available, but then remember that there are machines on this of the world that are scarce in Europe. Two great pick-ups, Lau, and both of them keepers.

19-1-2021 05:20:27  #10

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is almost impossible to find a Skyriter overhere. The only thing that came close was a Zypher (for a ridiculous price).

Uwe wrote:

From a performance perspective, I'm lukewarm about the Lexikon and only use it for small tasks. There are many other standards that I would rather use for longer typing sessions.

I agree with you. But that does not mean I do not like to type on it, it is just not the first machine that comes to mind for writing a novel. The touch remind me on my Royal P, and not only because of the glass key tops. I am very happy with the Lexikon, and as you wrote, it is for sure a keeper.

Board footera