You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-1-2021 13:51:38  #1

SCM Classic 12 cork rebound strip

The key rebound cork strip on my Classic 12 has become dislodged, and as it is deep in the key mechanisms I'm having trouble even assessing the problem much less fixing it. I can see no easy way to access it.
Has anyone encountered and solved this problem? Or would I be better off just removing the cork strip?

17-1-2021 17:34:46  #2

Re: SCM Classic 12 cork rebound strip

Hi Gabby

Just looking at my SCM Classic 12 (6LTV-402932H), it looks like this repair is going to require removal of the keyboard bezel and possibly the hood along with the faceplate to gain full access to the key lever top-stop support. It's been quite a while (4+ years) since I serviced one of these machines, so hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in here. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

18-1-2021 11:40:54  #3

Gabby Johnson wrote:

The key rebound cork strip on my Classic 12 has become dislodged, and as it is deep in the key mechanisms I'm having trouble even assessing the problem much less fixing it. I can see no easy way to access it.
Has anyone encountered and solved this problem? Or would I be better off just removing the cork strip?

You should be able to wiggle a replacement into place without removing anything. Work a string or rubber band under all the typebars and tie them up so as to give you clear access to the channel that the padding fits into. The padding may have originally been cork, but thick felt or even a length of rubber or plastic tubing or a similar material also works fine. You should not just remove the padding as that will be very noisy and may damage the typebars over time.

Removing the ribbon cover is a pain (comes off easy enough but lining up the screws to get it back, jeez) and though the keyboard surround is easier, it's still easier to avoid removing panels.

18-1-2021 16:34:15  #4

Hi Again

Just a quick clarification. Are we talking about the semi-circular type bar rest in the type basket or the straight key lever stop that keeps all the keys level? All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

18-3-2021 09:39:56  #5

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Again

Just a quick clarification. Are we talking about the semi-circular type bar rest in the type basket or the straight key lever stop that keeps all the keys level? All the best,

Sky

Sorry for the delay... I'm talking the straight key lever stop. 
It's so deep in there I can't even visualize how to fix it.

Board footera