You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-1-2021 11:20:19  #1

Triumph Tippa (1964?) - In Coming...

Have this Triumph Tippa in-coming to my home.  Should be here next week sometime.  It was only $ 45 USD and a little bit more with shipping.

I am thinking it might date to around 1964.  The paper tray no longer has the line graduations on its painted surface.

I liked how it has the same colors as my 1962 Triumph Perfekt.

Typing sample shown by the owner indicates it will need shift-adjustments.  And a good cleaning (interior) and new ribbon, of course.

Rust on the case hardware will easily polish off.

27-1-2021 11:28:35  #2

Re: Triumph Tippa (1964?) - In Coming...

Or maybe both colors show up on the typed characters because the ribbon is not run through the ribbon vibrator properly...

27-1-2021 13:46:10  #3

Congratulations Pete. Interesting machine, it has design details I know from my 1961 and my 1964 model. Chances are that your machine is from before 1964. I would love to see some pictures when the machine has arrived!

27-1-2021 14:46:12  #4

Hi Lau,

Yes...I will post up photos once it is home and I have a chance to clean it up and make any needed adjustments.  Type-font is standard and not cursive. 

Some folks seem convinced if there is a "1" key-top, the machines type-script must be special.

Will know the serial number, then, too and I can finalize the year-made.

I find it curious that the case/lid is almost identical to the one on my 1966 Hermes Baby...except for its differing color.

27-1-2021 15:10:18  #5

Pete E. wrote:

Some folks seem convinced if there is a "1" key-top, the machines type-script must be special. 

That can be an indicator, but it is not necessary true. In the case of the Tippa it is easy: look at the ribbon color switch. The cursive models lack the red option.

One more thing. My Tippa's from 1964 and later are equipled with a Y-shaped part on top of the spring motor. It is an important part that releases or engages the escapement. Usually there is a thick layer of dark grease between the spring motor and the part. I am not 100% sure, but I suspect it is a special kind of grease. All my Tippa's developed problems after I removed the grease from the spring motor. Applying regular bearing grease did not help. Eventually I fixed the issue by adding bearing grease and a small piece of cloth, see the picture in the gallery on the TWDB.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/1964-triumph-tippa.13999.typewriter

27-1-2021 15:42:29  #6

Hi Lau,

Thanks for all the great info. and tip.  Especially about the little grease rag you found out solves your problem.

When my machine comes, I will look to see if my main spring housing is like the one on your 1964 machine.

I lightened up your photo and posted it, here, below for future reference : 

03-2-2021 15:31:23  #7

New typewriter day in our home.

The Triumph Tippa just needed a good cleaning inside & out and a new B/R ribbon.

Type alignment is perfect as-is once the ribbon was threaded correctly through the ribbon vibrator.

There were even NO type-key that were sticky through the segment.

Even though the front body panel and the ribbon cover are plastic this is a solid and well-typing little machine.  Right up there with my 1965 Olympia SF.

Case lid is plastic, too, but have survived the years almost perfectly.  Just only 2 nicks in the plastic across the top surface.

03-2-2021 15:39:59  #8

So my serial number is # 43002xx. 

So according to the TWDB, my machine dates to being made somewhere between 1962 and 1964. 

I will call it 1963 just as a place-holder in my files.

03-2-2021 15:50:00  #9

That is a terrific looking machine. Does it have the Y shaped part on top of the spring motor?

03-2-2021 15:52:54  #10

Yes...just like the part in your photos with the little added piece of blue cloth.

Board footera