You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-3-2021 17:53:57  #11

Re: Key-Top Character...????

Few more photos of the Facit T2, in-coming.

Only a few very minor chips in the paint here and there.  I have really worked on my paint mixing/blending skills...so should be easy to take care of once in my home.

My work desk has had a bit of a tilt with my Olympia SG1 on the right-side.  This Facit T2 should even it up by taking its place on the left-side.

23-3-2021 17:59:23  #12

Sky,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your loved ones.

We have a wonderful couple next door in our new home community.  She is 90 and he is 87.  They smile and joke that they do not have much sand left in their hour-glasses.  Still very active, sharp, and in love.  Still drive and are fiercely independent.  They do let up bake goodies for them each week, though.

23-3-2021 18:27:24  #13

Last photo : 

24-3-2021 04:21:27  #14

Just thought that you might be interested to know that when Facit  finished making these machines, they sold the tooling to Poland, and the machine reappeared here in England as the 'Lucznik'.  I did see one once - identical to the Facit product but without the Facit logo on the front (obviously) and a 'Lucznic' sticker in its place.  It should have been a good seller, but the machine disappeared without a trace.

24-3-2021 07:19:02  #15

Maybe not enough "I Love Lucy" TV-show fans in the UK,,,??? 

24-3-2021 07:56:39  #16

Did find this one photo on the Net of the Polish-made machine :

24-3-2021 09:22:40  #17

Sorry for your loss Sky.

Could somebody please explain "dead key" to a newbie?

24-3-2021 11:09:58  #18

Sky,
Sorry for your loss. That said, your story, and that of your extended family sounds like one I would love to read. 

Brozzy,
A "dead" key is one that will disengage the escapement for subsequent key strikes, this allows the addition of diacritical or accent marks where needed. You can often cheat a dead key by pressing the spacebar, holding it, and then pressing the keys you need. This necessitates the use of the backspace key first, but once you press the spacebar and hold it, the escapement is often disengaged and won't allow the carriage to advance. This is how you make an exclamation point.
Phil Forrest

24-3-2021 11:25:49  #19

brozzy wrote:

Sorry for your loss Sky.

Could somebody please explain "dead key" to a newbie?

A dead key is one that does not advance the carriage when it is struck, typically used to add modifiers such as diacritical marks to other characters.  For example, to make an 'ä' with a typewriter that had an umlaut on a dead key, you would type the umlaut, and the carriage would not advance allowing a normal 'a' to be typed beneath the umlaut to create the modified character.

27-3-2021 20:44:02  #20

Found this photo on the Web...

Room full of kids in typing class...all getting to use Facit T2 machines...guessing in the early 1970's.

Board footera