You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-1-2014 15:24:21  #91

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Thank you very much for your insight. :D And sorry, you'll have to find your own! :3

22-1-2014 18:40:45  #92

I've seen a few of those before, but those were pre-war. I'd say this is 1950s. If it was after that, surely the keys would be more square and 'blocky'? 

Sidel & Naumann were a big manufacturer. They made typewriters, sewing-machines, and I think, bicycles as well. So I'd reckon that, provided it works, you've got a very good-quality machine there. 

I wouldn't mind owning that myself... 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

11-4-2014 13:51:59  #93

Long time no acquisite. A couple of weeks ago my friend told me that she has an old typewriter she could give me. Later it became two, then three. Finally today I had the chance to fetch the typers from her (it was quite an adventure, the typewriters weren't somewhere easily accessible, two of them were buried deep in a closet and the third, last but not least, was in a basement). It turned out to be great trip, and I'm really happy about the typewriters.

First one out of the depths of oblivion was a grey Roayl 200. Third typewriter I ever bought was also a Royal 200 (cream in colour) so I already knew this is typewriter I like to type with. This 200 came with manual! The first one didn't, so my collection just received more than just a second 200.

Second typewriter to emerge from the dust was something called Scheidegger. This is the first time I come across with that name. It has plastic body, a feature I usually pass, but a free typewriter is free, so why not. It doesn't seem half bad. I'd paint it but I don't think I dare, first of all because I have never heard of such company before. Plastic "hinge" of the case is broken.

The second I saw the case of the third machine I knew it was a Facit, which made me really happy. While it's not the sexiest colour there is, it came with a hood (my first cover hood! yay! And it says Facit so it's likely original) and cleaning kit. It seems to be newer than my other Facit (which I have assumed to be TP2). As it's a Swedish typewriter, I already know that this machine will produce refreshing typeface after most typewriters imported for our market. Unfortunately it seems that something very heavy has been stored on top of this machine, causing the case to bend in every direction a bit.

(I still wonder what Swedish engineers were thinking when they decided that something this heavy could be sold as portable. I'm not master of metallurgy, but I'm assuming that the frame is cast iron. You could probably kill a bear with it and then continue typing.)

(This one has a Z, the other Facit I have doesn't.)

Last edited by tatte (11-4-2014 14:00:52)

11-4-2014 16:36:49  #94

I can tell you what the Scheidegger is !  It's actually an Adler Gabrielle 35.  Scheidegger were a Swiss correspondence-based touch-typing and office practice school.  If you enrolled for one of their courses, you got  a Scheidegger branded machine to practice on.  These came with colour-coded slip-over  key covers, to hide the characters on the keytops.  Scheidegger were a reputable organisation and would only supply the best machines to their students.  At first (early 1960's) they supplied the Princess 300.  When that source dried up, they supplied Adler Gabrielles.  When Adler finished, they went to Olivetti for a Lettera variant.  Then Scheidegger went bust !  Because the casing is mainly plastic (Adler were an early adopter of plastic casings) it won't take paint very well, so maybe best to leave it as it is !

11-4-2014 16:40:40  #95

Sorry, forgot to mention.  You can repair the plastic 'hinge' on the carry case by pop-rivetting a section of continuous piano hinge on instead.  It can be done so neatly that no-one would ever know that it wasn't an original fitment.

12-4-2014 01:20:44  #96

The knownledge of it's past certainly makes me appreciate the machine more. It got me thinking about the typewriting class I took about ten years ago, we didn't have anything fancy, just some electric typewriters I'm assuming to have been Brothers.

The piano hinge tip sounds great, I'll look into it and post results if I try it. Thanks!

EDIT// I opened the Facit, and it was like a scene from a horror movie. Could this be the result of wrong lubrication? Nasty! http://talvilintu.org/misc/type/facitdamage.jpg

Last edited by tatte (12-4-2014 01:41:47)

12-4-2014 04:09:15  #97

That's really strange, isn't it ?  I wonder if someone has been squirting some kind of solvent at the escapement, which has attacked the plating.  It does look as if it could be cleaned off and some sewing machine oil applied to help protect the bare metal.  A further tip regarding the piano hinge on the Scheidegger carry case.  I'm pretty sure that I remember that the case is double-skinned and you will find it best to put small washers behind the pop-rivets before you set them.  If you don't, the rivets will pull clean through the thin plastic !

12-4-2014 07:02:35  #98

I'm soaking that plate with gear in gasoline, as the gear is stuck just like in my previous Facit. Six hours of soaking didn't do any good to that damage on the plate itself, let's hope it's a different story tomorrow.

You're correct, the case is double skinned, and fairly thick in total. I haven't seen long enough pop-rivets to reach through both layers, but I suppose they have to exist. Thanks for the further advice, my initial though would have been to attach the rivets in just the outer layer, so you might just have saved the case from unnecessary damages (and me from some trouble).

19-4-2014 17:52:10  #99

There have been too many new acquisitions of late to list, but this one is a stand out for me. I've found the type action on many ultra-portables to be lacklustre, even wooden at times, but not so with this Adler Tippa, which is really a rebadged Gossen. It has a nice crisp action with a very nice feel in the keys, something that is quite remarkable given the low profile of the machine. In many ways it reminds me of the Kolibri Luxus in its build; a compact and dense collection of solid metal parts that succeed both in their performance and design. My only complaint is that the typewriter is very high pitched in use, something I've been trying to remedy by softening up the platen a little. This Tippa's paint is a little rough around the edges, and arrived with a completely seized escapement that needed a good cleaning, but neither of those points diminished my appreciation of this tiny marvel.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-4-2014 15:51:41  #100

I picked up two $20 typers today, one definitely more exciting than the other for me.

The first was this 1983 Olympia Electric CE-R12. It's one of those made in Japan Olympia models that were produced during the final dark hours of typewriter dominated desks. I keep saying that I'm not into electric typewriters and yet this is the sixth one in my collection. More of a curiousity purchase than anything else, it needed a bit of work to get it going. The automatic line advance, which works in conjunction with the power carriage return, was completely seized, and the upper and lower case type was completely out of alignment.

The other machine, and the one I'm far more excited about, is a Royal Empress (sorry, only one photo so far). I've been looking to complete my collection of Royal standards and was happy to see this Empress turn up locally. Unfortunately, it's in really rough shape - mostly cosmetically - but despite looking like it was dragged to hell and back this big Royal still types like a dream. I've already fixed most of the little mechanical issues it had and just have to replace three missing screws for the line advance lever (the previous owner had used self-tapping screws to hold it in place!). I'm really looking forward to spending some quality time with the Empress and can't wait to give the grand old lady a new set of clothes.

Given that David Letterman is soon to retire, I can't think of a better image to give those unfamiliar with the Empress an idea of what it looks like:

The more I study the lines of the Empress, the more I'm convinced that its design drew inspiration from the hull of a cargo ship. I just noticed a half-circle shaped cut-out in the back of its case and immediately realized that it was probably meant for a power cord. There was an electric version of the Empress called the Electress.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera